Feeling torn between BF and my Family!

Have a BF who doesn't quite get along with my family. Some really don't care too much for her either. The thing is they are aware that I am close to her and don't have any issues with it; at least they don't make any with me. But she seems to have one when I spend a lot of time with them. She calls less and won't return my calls. The thing is, she has really been there for me in times were I felt I couldn't rely on family. I just don't feel I should feel that I should have to choose or favor one over the other! I love her, she's a great friend, but my family is my family-love them no matter what!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• blood is thicker than water.
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 10:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• there has to be some underlying issue for her to act this way. is she feeling betrayed somehow? like b/c she's been there for you, that you owe her or something? is she thinking you're crazy to be close to a family that couldn't or hadn't been there for you for whatever reason and feeling like she wasted her time?? this is very peculiar. I had a friend in elem school that was crazy possessive, thankfully she moved while i was on vacation.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Sounds like she is the one making issue. I know you love her, but you gotta be careful with anyone, friend or foe, who gets irritated when you spend time with your family. That is a bad sign regardless of your relationship with her. You really need to pin-down the reason why she would want to cause animosity between you and your family??
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yes blood is thicker that water, BUT family can be your worse enemy at times. Most of them become jealous of you, or they just don't want to see you happy with anyone. Do you, stop worrying about what your family think, and live your life. You can love your family from a distance if they can't respect you or your friend. We all have family members who can't keep their nose out of your business, but never allow your life to be built around your family, you will NEVER be happy. Do you, forget about how they feel.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Tell her to stop acting like a 2 year old.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It sounds a little odd to me that a person would treat you that way for talking to your own family.
    Husbands, wives, SO's do that when they have control issues, over jealous, somewhat obsessed etc, but usually not friends.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2009