few questions about 15 mos. old?

my 15 mos. old is using diff. words for diff. things...such as, dada when she wants up (its her favorite word though), everythings dada..she'll say momma every now and then, but everythings dada..especially when she wants up, she walks up to you waves her hands in the "i want up" way that she does and says "dada"..any tips on getting her to start to say the right words??
ALSO, i feel that now she's old enough to cry it out..shes always in bed with us to fall asleep and then i put her in her bed, or lay with her til shes asleep..any advice?? (obviously she's fed, warm, clean butt, and not hurting)

BASHERS: DO NOT POST ABOUT NOT LETTING HER CRY IT OUT, AND HOW ITS WRONG!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• not sure about the talking thing, but just keep a schedule/routine to get her to go to bed by herself. My son has never given me a problem going to bed because we do the same thing everynight... I tell him that its dark outside and its time to go ni-night. He grabs his bear, goes to his room and lays down... then he tells me "give kisses", "give nosies", and "give hug"! lol... i do each and tell him goodnight. and he lays there for a minute and goes to sleep. and make sure she stays in bed... my sister has the hardest time getting my neice to go to sleep because she lays her down and then my neice plays quietly or "reads" her books (shes going to be 3 next week) and goes to sleep when she wants too. Hope this helps... ive never had to let him cry himself to sleep... if you make it something special instead of "bedtime"
    terra6211

Answer by terra6211 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Da Da Da Da Da is a young toddlers favorite word. It can define juice, daddy, up, down, toy, car, and any number of things. It is all perfectly normal. By 15 months your LO should know about 5 words generally including mama and dada. By 18 months she should know about a dozen. The best way to get her to say the right words is to use them. When she walks to you and wants up and says dada - Oh, would you like up? Then pick her up and say Up. When she wants her teddy bear and points and says dada - Say Oh you want your teddy bear. Get it for her and say here is your teddy bear. She will pick up on those words faster than you can imagine. But don't count on her saying them regularly - she will use dada for a long while yet.

BTW I was Dada for a long time before I was regularly Mama.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 10:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• As far as getting her to sleep in her own bed - Crying it out is tough - tougher on you than her. She is certainly old enough to give it a try. I would follow what the PP said about establishing a routine - PJs, brush teeth, read 2 books, and then we rock in her room for about 15 minutes. We used to rock her to sleep, but now we make a point of putting her in her bed awake.

We co-slept until she was 8 months old. When we transitioned her into the crib she cried - we tried every method in every book, but cry it out was the only thing that worked. We followed our rountine and put her in her bed. After 15 minutes we would check on her, 15 more minutes we checked on her and so forth until she fell asleep. Most nights we checked on her 1 or 2 times. The crying didn't go on for very many nights before she got it. A couple of nights she cried for over an hour. It hurt to hear - a lot. But by 1 y she slept 12 hours with no crying. GL
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 11:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• you just have to keep talking to her, when she wants up, but says dada, just say 'do you want me to pick you up?' or something to that extent. and when you pick her up say 'ok, i'll pick you up'. redundence, redundence, redundence!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• How often do you do bath time? Part of my nightly routine with my daughter is her bath time. Studies have shown that a warm bath( something to do with changing body temps) before bed helps children AND adults to relax significantly. Doing the same exact thing every night will help a lot. You'll find a predictable routine helps if you ever travel too- we go over seas often and bringing my daughter's sound machine and still doing the same thing helps. The ritual part tells her brain it's time to start getting ready for bed, but I agree with the past responses of crying it out. It worked on Lilly, even though we co-slept for about six months. It's hard but worth it for sure!
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 12:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• She will be talking very soon! Just keep saying the action "you want me to pick you up" and do it. She will get it very soon! My daughter didn't say anything besides ball, mama, and dada until she turned 19 mos. The day she turned she could say 20 words instantly. Within a month it was 75 and now at 21 mos she is putting sentences together! It goes SOOO fast! I do agree she loves saying "dadadada" and is experimenting with constants. My dd did "dadadadada" and "mamamamama" and "bababababa" until she turned 19 mos. Just keep repeating yourself and she'll get it! Maybe try flash cards but don't expect her to repeat you instantly.
    As far as CIO, I do agree with establishing a bedtime routine. It makes it much eaiser and letting her know it's bedtime. My dd never coslept and didn't start CIO until 13 mos and it never hurt her! Just check on her when the cry sounds painful... you will know! :) GL!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Okay so you don't want to hear NOT to Let her cry it out, so then why ask if it's okay?
    I have had 4 babes, have done the control crying thing with first three, yes it worked for a time. However I also gave up other things to achieve it. A baby who went to sleep crying also meant a cranky, whiney, clingy baby the next day. I am not Bashing, you just need to be aware that there might be negatives to it..
    My fourth co-slept in our bed for the first 12 months, then slept in her cot beside us for another 6 months. She was the happiest baby & figured out the sleep thing in her own time. I know you are tired and fed up -it's normal to feel that way. But you know what, this time when she sees you as the centre of her universe only lasts for such a short time. She thinks you are wonderful, & special and amazing. Her need to be with you is not from being naughty and disobedient, it's because she can't imagine her world without you
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2009