How can I strip my dyed hair w/o going to the hair salon?

I have been dying my hair black for a few months now. And I desperately don't want to anymore. I have dyed it black in the past, but when I was sick of it being black I have gone to the hair salon to get it stripped to a lighter color. But as of now I can not afford to do something like that. I didn't know if you all out there might know of ways I could strip it myself that won't be to badly damaging to me or my hair that doesn't involve me going to the hair dresser. I know stripping it in itself is not good for your hair. Trust me I won't be going black again! Thanks, ladies for all your help!!

SassyBlue

Asked by SassyBlue at 10:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• This sounds strange but Joy dish soap, use it then use a really good conditioner, it might take a couple of days but it will lighten your hair and as long as you use the conditioner it wont hurt your hair.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Does it matter the type of Joy?
    SassyBlue

Answer by SassyBlue at 11:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Wow,as a professional there are reasons we have to have a licnse to buy chemicals and apply them. I wouldn't to myself and I know how! ;ust go to a salon. Your gonna end up orange,have damage,or end up getting a "chemical" haircut. I get a few people a week that have attempted to do this themselves and came into disaster. Sometimes when we try to be cheap we end up paying more in the end!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Ya, that is what I am afraid of. I just didn't know if there were products that just lightened it up some that I could gradually get it to either fade or go lighter than what it is now. My hair gets dried now from dying it. I have to treat it carefully as is.
    SassyBlue

Answer by SassyBlue at 11:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yeah don' put soap on your damaged hair,it will break off! You could try a malibu at a salon maybe? But I'd just go get it done. And don't go too light either! You will lose hair.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• And stop coloring over color! That'll do it too! Lol!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Girl, I am 28 and I have lots of gray!! I just do the roots mostly. But then I change color out of boredom! LOL!
    SassyBlue

Answer by SassyBlue at 12:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I believe walmart sells something like that in the hair dye section. But just so you know, even after you strip your hair, it wont be your natural color, it will still be a little off, and I wouldt dye it for a while after that so you dont fry your hair.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• as a cosmetologist i urge you to (if you can) spend the money at a salon. Too many risks using store brand chemicals. Putting color over color is damaging. If you try to strip out the color it will break off. ALOT! I had black hair and I got it stripped out so i could have red hair. it took weeks. Also, Which ever way you choose to go.. do alot of deep conditioning.
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 5:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Walmart and other places that say haircolor Do have something that is supposed to take color out of your hair. It claims to restore your hair to pre-color condition and you're able to immediately follow up with a new color....
    I have done this recently, because my hair was too dark as well. It DID take out the dark, but my hair was left very bright orange and yellow. I had to apply color to it immediately to cover that up. I used a light brown with highlights formula, and it has blended really well...(at least for me.)
    I do urge you to use LOTS of conditioner and maybe an olive oil leave in treatment on your hair overnight to do a deep conditioning....do this at least once a week until you notice healthier hair growing in.
    I change my color about as often as I change underwear...LOL...it did cause some damage and I did have some breakage : (
    Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009