I live in ny and the government funded daycare facility my child is accepted to is giving me a hard time with bringing my child his own lunch, my doctor can;t write the letter because she said she has no basis to state allergens. Help!

Don62008

Asked by Don62008 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in

• If the Dr. said there is no basis for a a statement of allergens what is the problem? The Dr is saying she has no reason to believe allergens exist. If you believe your child is allergic to something request the Dr to do testing. Something isn't adding up here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Why should a daycare do that without a medical need for it. That just upsets other kids.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I understand your predicament, I am VERY careful about what goes into my child's body and she has no allergies. The crap that people pass off as food is unbelievable! Unfortunately, you have to follow the rules of the program or seek out the maker of the rules to have them changed. At this point, you have to forgo the lunch or the school. It will be upsetting to the other kids and complicates things for the teachers and aides. For instance, what if your send something another kid is allergic to or if your child give away his food or it spills - or spoils?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Is there any reasons your child can't have the lunch the place provides? Like do you not give your child dairy products or religion beliefs or something along those lines. I live in New York and any state ran place has very healthy meals.
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 2:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Our doctor wrote a note stating that my daughter was allergic to meat (we are vegetarian).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yeah, my aunt worked for a New York state run daycare. They had very strict menus. She used to keep a copy for things she could make her kids. Now she takes care of my niece when my SIL is in class and wow, her food is divine. I remember your original question though about like raw feeding, I think it was. If there is no allergies to anything, then really you have to go by them or go to a different daycare.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• The day cares that have government food, have to follow strict guidelines and in order for them to be reimbursed, ALL children must eat the lunches provided, unless they have medical or religious reasons. No doctor that I know of will not write a note stating that a child has allergies when they don't. Why don't you want your child to eat the lunches provided.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sounds like the best your going to be able to do is, give your child a healthy filling meal for breakfast, feed him/her as soon as they get home and Give a very filling dinner. Maybe you can bring in a snack for the whole class to eat so you can ensure that your child gets a healthy snack too. Try talking to the person in charge of the daycare maybe they will be willing to let them eat the food you bring if you explain yourself really well.
    candycane337

Answer by candycane337 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009