climbing....

Ok, my ds is neary 18 months old & climbing on any & everything!!! Im going nuts!!!!! I tell him no, get him down, yell @ him & sometimes pop his hand or butt...he just dosent get it. He will cry for a second then go back to climbing. Sometimes if i yell @ him for it he will smile,laugh, or wave @ me. Its getting so bad, hes a super fast climber, i turn my hear for a second & he climbs up his highchair that i have set on the tallest setting & sits in it. My mom was watching him tonight & he climbed all the way ontop of the dining room table. Im so scared he is going to fall and really hurt himself. Im lost in what to do, I feel like i've done everything i can do...please help!!!!! =/

.Kelly.

Asked by .Kelly. at 10:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-15 Credits)
  • I let ours climb, anything and everything, including the kitchen table until he was about 2 (from about 8 months old). Now, he climbs everything, except for the kitchen table. I figured I couldn't teach etiquette until he could understand better, lol! Tots are made for climbing and falling. I tried to allow him "safe" avenues, because he wanted to see up high, he needs to expend the energy, and he's very good & confident. The FEW times that he has fallen, is nothing compared to the joy he has while climbing, and that he rarely falls.

The other thing about a toddler and a S(stuck)AHM, is that if you cut the climbing, then you have to replace it with something else that will expend his energy and satisfy his curiosity. Since I couldn't find that, except for nice-weather days at the park, I let him climb. Step-ladders, the BIG slide, pillows stacked up, cushions off couch, card table, etc. He loves it. Others may not agree.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• PS-Stuck at home mom, just means that normally we are at home, not many activities outside of grocery shopping, which they just sit in a buggy, etc. And girls may be content to play dolls quietly, but boys are natural explorers. I actually enjoy his little personality like this. I know that you are worried about him falling, but as long as there are pillows or stuffed toys to be cushions, or carpet, etc. he really should be OK. And of course I watch him to make sure he's not doing a nose dive, etc. but honestly, they work hard at NOT getting hurt. They do have to learn how to do things, and it takes practice. Sorry, no advice for stopping him.... Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My daughter does that and when she falls she laughs, gets back up and does it again! They are more durable then you think and she has fallen many times and landed on her back or head/neck and laughed, got up and did it again!!! Dangerous? can be, but I don't know how "stoppable" it is! I have been putting cushions or pillows on the floor or taking her to every playground I can find to help satisfy this need but she scares me even more there! GL!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Set up somewhere he CAN climb. I used to take the coushins off the couch and let DD climb the cushions and the couch. Anytime he tries to climb the table, redirect him to the couch. Keep doing it until he gets it, and dont cave. He'll get it eventually :)

epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2009