I just felt so rotten

I know for a fact that im not a bad mom. I would do anything for my kids but lastnight I felt so rotten and guilty. Heres why. We went to my friends wedding and afterwards to the reception at the fair grounds. There was about 500 people there and a lot of people drinking and dancing and very few americans. Maybe 15 or 20 at the most, so about everyone was speaking spanish even the bands were singing all spanish.We had never been at a big party like this. There are six people in my family and my daughters boyfriend went and I had 2 friends sitting with us. Well we was leaving and I went to say bye to my friend and her new hubby and all my kids was with me and we was leaving even my other two friends was leaving and while half way to the door I got stopped by a friend and was talking than we went on out. Well were walking and talking and get out to the van and my 16 year old says WHERES KALEB!? He is my 4 year old! cont....

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 10:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ? I think you're missing some of your post? Where was Kalebi?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• cont... My daughters bf took off running and my hubby right behind and when they got in there they found him wondering around the room crying looking for us. I felt so bad. I got him and loved him and he says "mommy yall left me in there, and if you leave me you wont have me anymore" I was in tears I have never left any of my kids like that but I was talking and walking and just didnt notice which is bad of me. He kept asking "why did you leave me?" He mustve been very scared he couldnt understand anyone. My kids are 16,12,11, and 4 Why didnt someone notice he wasnt walking with us? Its definately a lesson learned, a reality check on my part. My question is have you or someone you know ever left your kid anyplace?
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 11:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• My parents had six kids and one day they left my sister Rachel at home when we were going out for pizza. We realized it and went back for her. She was out in the front yard crying.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Honestly, it happens but this is a GOOD lesson to really remember how precious our kids are and you have to watch them like a hawk. Next time, don't bring the little ones.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My mom left me at Six Flags when I was about 11. It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it, it is done and he is ok. I would also have to say that most of those Spanish speaking people knew enough English or were fluent in English to help your son, if he had asked for help. Just because they were speaking Spanish doesn't mean all of them don't understand or speak English. Next, time keep the little ones home or make sure someone is holding his had or touching some part of him at all times.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I just want to clarify that I didnt actually leave we just made it to the car but thats bad enough. I know some of the people could speak english but I was just thinking how scared he was not understanding them and they probaly couldnt understand him either because he doesnt pronounce all his letters right. I really got a good reality check and im sure it wont happen again. Thanks everyone im glad Im not the only one that has forgotten my kid.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 7:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• no, my brother was left at a football game, i only have one living child so i value him greatly and i would never leave him somewhere ever, if it happened to someone watching him i dont think i could ever forgive them, they certainly would never be trusted to care for him again, he is my love and my world and i could never ever leave him somewhere other than the secure school he attends while dh and i work.. no judgement or anything but .....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Classic case for leaving the wee ones out of BIG PARTIES:

Large crowds are notorious hunting grounds for abductors and abusers.. whom are NOT respecters of festivity, only their own ideas.

You were very fortunate, and I think perhaps a little too secure assessing the awareness of your family, primarily teenagers!

Good lord, I can't blame you for forgetting him in all that confusion {oh. yes. I used to CATER and know this madness!}, I've seen it happen a billion times while working weddings, kids run about as far as their legs will take em from parents and everyone's whooping it up while feeling safe and secure... really it's just an inevitable end to the elements involved.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 3:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2009