Grandma and Disneyworld

My mother wants to take my almost four year old son to Disney world (which would be out of state for us) in December but wants an answer in the next week or so since she wants to get everything paid for now. She and her bf want to fly out there for five days. I'm not to comfortable with the idea because a few things: No 1: she and her bf like to smoke pot although she says they won't do anything while they have him. He has spent the occasional night with her and she swears she doesn't do it when she has him. No 2: She already pumped him up for the trip without telling me about it first. She's telling me I'm overreacting about it and should just let him go and have fun. No 3: I'll admit I'm jealous. I want to be able to take my own son and see his eyes light up from seeing all of the sights. So my question is: Would you let your child go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldnt, but im always afraid something bad will happen and I wont be there for my kid. If they are addicted to pot than they probaly wont stop just because he is there. You know them and know if you can trust them or not. If you feel uneasy about it than keep him home with you.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 11:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Is there a possiblitly you could join them? If not..under those circumstances I would say no. Putting my child under the supervision of someone who knowingly smokes pot is just irresponsible to me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• don't know if I'm the one to ask - I wouldn't let my mother watch my kids every because she didn't care about poisons in her house. So the possiblity of sending any of my kids off with someone who knowingly smokes pot just would never happen.

How the heck can you think of it possibly being okay to send your baby off like that. The pumped up part is nothing - there's plenty of places ds will get pumped about other places at your ds age.

Pot is illegal just about every where for any reason. If she's drugged up on legal or illegal drugs with some boyfriend several thousands of miles away from you or close by - how on earth is that safe for your son?

Tell her no. She has to give you access to her medical files proving drug free for two years before you can even think of that. I'd rather lose my mother because of her being messed up than lose my child because of my mother being messed up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Yeah...she told me they could only afford to take just my son. My mom has never been a responsible adult, even while I was growing up. Not to mention I just recently got a job so i doubt I can take time off this soon.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't send my kid without me. I don't think it's selfish to want to be with your child when he goes to Disney. Just my opinion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Do what ur gut tells you. If deep down you trust ur mom let him go and you enjoy the silence. I know you may want to be there too but send him with a camera. That way you can see if ur mom was really sober too. Kids need experiences. and when you see the look on his face before he goes and after he comes back it's priceless. It also depends on the age of ur son. Buy a child leash for them.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009