spin off... on would you disown your child if they did NOT go to college..WELL

How many of you that would disown them financially or what have you.. actually went to a 4 year college and have a degree?

peytonJJ27

Asked by peytonJJ27 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have one semester left until i have my associates and then i transfer to my next school for my bachelors.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Of course not! My husband and I met in college--we both have a four-year-degree and an associate's degree. We'd be disappointed, perhaps, but we would NEVER disown them. And what other path are they choosing--military, early marriage, learning a trade? All valid, perhaps not the path we'd have chosen, but it's their life and their mistakes to make.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 11:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• did your parents make you or did you want to do it for you not because it was a SUPPOSED TO DO sort of thing
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Great question. I did not go to college straight out of high school. I farted around, hung out and had fun, got pregnant and took a series of low-paying jobs to support my family before realizing the error of my ways. Now that my kids are almost grown, I'm back in school working on my BS. I have two years to go...now if I could just find the time to finish lol....
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't disown my kids, but I wouldn't support them financially if they made the decision not to go. I expect them to go, and they know that. I have my associates in biopharmaceuticals, my BA in History with a 9-12 teaching cert for social studies and math. My parents expected me to go and I'm glad they did - I can support myself and my kids should I ever need to.

Answer by missanc at 8:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• missanc- i never went to college and make around 70k a year and do a fine job supporting myself and my DD w or w/o my hubby...
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• peytonJJ27- I think you're in the minority. I don't know for a fact, but I would be willing to bet my shoes that generally, those with a college degree are much better off financially that those who didn't.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ya the older ones prob but the new college graduates are having a heck of a time finding anything as well in this horrid economy
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2009