Help! My 8 mo old is having night terrors!

Any ideas? My daughter has been waking up every few hours screaming! She does this a few times a week. I go in and pick her up and rock her and she goes right back to sleep, but it is scaring me. Is this normal?

DividingAnt

Asked by DividingAnt at 12:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pedi told me it was normal. It happened to my dd too. At naptime for her. Horrible and scary, but she never seemed to remember it. It went away, but I can't remember how long it lasted... couple of months?
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 12:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my 5 mo old does the samething she usually goes right back to sleep but sometimes i just have to bring her into bed with me for her to sleep so i say try sleeping with her for a night on ur cheast.... well if u can.... that does it works because all they really consentrate on is ur heart beat.... hope it helps
    tarja

Answer by tarja at 12:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i mean i think it works because all they really consentrate on....
    tarja

Answer by tarja at 12:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You are not alone in this case. My children went through it as well. As long as you are calm, and are there for them, it'll be ok. Just keep them close to you, or leave them in their crib, where they won't hurt themselves. Another thought...have the doc check her tonsils. It is very common for a child to have large tonsils, which can cause them to have sleep apnea( where they stop breathing in their sleep and when the realize it, they get night terrors in their sleep). I know this sounds scary, but take my advice...just have the doc check it out. It may be an easy fix with tonsillectomy, or it could just be a simple case of night terrors, which will pass. We are here at cafemom for you if you need us. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my son sometimes will wake up screaming but i am not sure if its a nightmare type thing or he just realizes that he is alone in his crib. he likes to be cuddled and he cant fall asleep without me sometimes...my fault bc I cuddle him alot but whatever....I think its normal. babies wake up on average up to 6 times a night and sometimes they can self soothe which is the goal of transitioning to a full nights sleep. so im not sure hwo you would know if it is night terrors or the same thing my son does where he just needs to be soothed.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I dont have an answer for you either but im glad you asked this because recently my 10 weeks old starting doing the same thing. I would wake up because id hear him cry and go in and hed be asleep again. Sometimes when im cuddling with him to put him to sleep, he will be asleep and shortly after he will make a crying face even without making any noise. Other times he will just cry. Is this night terrors?
    Good luck with the lil one! =]
    kristen_renee3

Answer by kristen_renee3 at 2:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2009