my daughter just woke up coughing but it sounded like she was barking...

What do you think this could be? She was up an hour ago and was FINE. She has no fever, no runny nose. Just a weird cough.

MomAt15woah

Asked by MomAt15woah at 12:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• croup, mine just had this this spring. if it doesn't go away take her in to the doc they can give her some meds to help and will have to do xrays to make sure it isn't bad. if she can't fall back asleep take her into the bathroom shut the door run a hot hot shower the steam will help clear her up. let her sleep elevated if possible. but really the meds they gave my dd were steroids to open the airways a bit to help her get through the bad coughing fit she was having at the time, there isn't a prescription that will just get rid of it and couch syrup etc did no good whatsoever. for my daughter it was only bad for about 2 days then was to a point where she would cough but not be woken by it (it was more at night during the day she'd cough like once) for about a week.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:46 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• run a hot shower and close the bathroom door, sounds like croup.
    let her site in there, door closed not in the shower but next to the steam and let it break it up a little also hot tea with lemon and popsicles, keep her hydrated with lots of juice. Try benedryl if you think it could be allergies?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sounds like croup. And it usually gets worse at night.

To give her some immediate relief, take her into your bathroom, shut the door, strip her down, and run HOT water in your shower. Do this for about 15 minutes and then take her (bundled in blanket) outside for about 5 minutes. Put her to bed elevated with a cool mist humidifier running.

Call doctor tomorrow morning.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• When I was little I got coughs like that in elementary school. Man did it hurt. It wasnt really anything serious. My mom gave me cough medicine and I was fine. I would go to the doctor to make sure its not something serious. I got my tonsels taken out and I stopped getting coughs, colds and ear infections.
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 12:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• try giving her coffee if you think it could be like asthma, it will help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• anon :52... coffee does not help asthma! In fact, it could make it worse because caffeine can make the heart race which would cause faster breathing to keep up with the heartbeat! I am not against caffeine for children, but DONT give coffee to treat asthma!

Croup sounds like a barking seal and that sounds like what you are describing and it typically has not other symptoms. It can last for up to 2 weeks so watch his breathing and bring him to the doc if he acts like he is having trouble breathing (besides just the cough)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• oops... you have a daughter!! Change my "he's" to "she's"!!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

• It's probably croup. I use a humidifier or steam up the bathroom and put my son in bathroom with the steam, it sometimes breaks it up. He's also had a shot, I'm pretty sure it was steroids but don't quote me. That worked the best he was better in a day.
    Gindonni

Answer by Gindonni at 11:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sounds like Croup. If it is the first time, take her to the doctor. It is always best to get issues like that checked out. She could also have Asthma and that is nothing to fool around with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My son did the exact same thing, and we were told he has asthma. If he got into a pool during the summer, he will cough and shake as if it is 20 degrees outside. Have her checked out, it may be nothing.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 3:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2009