Why does no one care that Laura Bush killed someone while she was driving drunk? It must be okay when Republicans do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• isnt that the truth...funny how when its a republican does something bad its over looked but the second its a democrate its bad bad bad.
    drives me nuts
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• do you have a link?
    Anonymous

• when did that happen?
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Actually, the difference is, she wasn't drunk - she hadn't been drinking at all. Also, the intersection where her accident occurred had a high accident rate,and was actually declared to be a dangerous and improperly marked intersection. She also didn't flee the scene,and deny that the other person was involved. Her accident was investigated and she was cleared way before becoming 1st lady, no cover up.

As opposed to Kennedy, who was drunk, or at least had been drinking heavily, as attested by several witnesses, including friends. Who did leave the scene, and denied, for several hours, that there was another person in the car. There was also not a high level of other accidents at that particular spot, which could have led people to the reasonable belief that maybe there was a problem with the road there that contributed to it. He and his fam. worked to cover it up, and they were in politics at the time.

cont

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• cont

There is a world of difference between the two accidents, which makes a world of difference in how they are viewed by most reasonable people (meaning not so politically biased they can't see their own party's flaws or any good in someone from the other party) view them.

And btw, I'm neither a Republican or a Democrat. I'm registered Ind. and I've voted for BOTH parties, so I don't have a political "ax" to grind with my reasoning.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Laura Bush's accident was when she was a teenager. There was a 4 way intersection in a rural area that didn't have a stop sign or anything. She was driving at night and there was an accident at the intersection - basically, from what I've read and seen in interviews about it, they T-boned. The other driver - also a teen - was killed.

It was not the first such accident at that corner.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My mistake - there was a sign.

Here's a link that tells about what happened with the Bush accident.

Here's a link that tells about what happened with the Kennedy accident.

Read both all the way through, and see for yourself which sounds more "shady" to you...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• WOW heres what i think
    if they werent in politics would anyone really care about either? NO we expect these people to be perfect and never make mistakes its amazing to me.
    they are people just like us but because they are in the spot light we expect perfection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No, here's the thing. Even if he wasn't in politics, I would still have been disgusted (had I heard about it) by Ted Kennedy's actions. Laura Bush was a teenager in a car accident. She admitted to it, took responsibility for it, was sober, and lost a friend in it. Ted Kennedy was drunk, and adult, and drove off a bridge, then tried to cover the whole thing up. If he had come forward when it happened, instead of trying to hide it until the next morning when her body was found and he was finally questioned about it, she might have lived.

Politics or not, I view a drunk who tries to cover up an accident and hides that there was another person with him until the next day, resulting in someone's death, I think badly of it. That isn't politics, that's poor choices and lack of responsibility.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well, as much as I don't care about that whole family. I don't think this particular situation should be an issue. Its not like she went out looking for a person to kill afterall. Sometimes its not fair to judge a person now for the mistakes they made when they were younger. I am sure she lives with what happened everyday of her life.
    When I was 19 i was busted for underage consumption of alcohol. It was just beer and I had only drank like 2. But NOW I have a husband, and children, and a Bachelors Degree in Health Administration. Unfortunately I am STILL living with that mistake. I have to explain to everyone on ALL of my job interviews. It sucks!!
    I know thats not as major as killing someone, but still- who am I to judge her for a mistake that she did not do intentionally.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2009