Infection "down there" 18 days after giving birth? (TMI)

For the past week i've had itching in my vaginal area. Now I cant wipe without it feeling like theres an open wound on the inside of the left lip. I took a mirror and a light and its a blotch of red and white ontop of that when I spread it apart. It hurts so bad... I gave birth 18 days ago and Im sure its from that. Did I not clean myself well enough? Im sure I did; after every time I used the bathroom and every shower ofcourse. What could this be? Im making an appointment tomorrow but I'd like to know if anyone has experienced or heard of this.

My apologies for giving so much information, I just dont know how to describe this :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My midwife told me it was just itching from the birth. She said it was stretched alot and everything looked normal, "infact, you're healing quite nicely". So apparently its all normal from the birthing. I put some Grapefruit Seed Extract in a spray bottle with some water. Every time I used the bathroom I sprayed it down there and it went away a few days later, so I am assuming it really was some type of an infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That sounds like an ingrown hair, those hurt like crazy and usually look like what you described.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• (I am the OP)
    I forgot to mention. The infected area is about an inch by a half an inch long, on both sides next to my entrance. Its just that the left side is worse.. Theres no hair in there, but maybe could it still be that?

Thank you so much for responding!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sounds like it may be a yeast infection to me.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 2:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Did you maybe cut yourself shaving?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I hope the doctor can tell you and get it cleared up ASAP. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• if you had a vag delivery then things can kind of tear down there from all the stretching and it can for sure get infected. I would call your OB and see if they want you to come in to have it looked at or if they could suggest something to put on it to help it heal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would def make a dr. appt asap! That is a serious infection!!! GL
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Did you ever find out what it was and what you could use to heal it? From what you've decsribed it sounds like I have the same thing. I had my baby the same day you wrote this post and did not have any tears, no ingrown hair. I think it might be a yeast infection but can't call the dr until they open in the morning to make sure that that's what it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009