CIO?? when is it ok?

I dont believe in CIO but at what point do you have to. Obviously your not going to let your little baby cry thats his only way of communicating but what about a 18month old who just doesnt want to go to bed and its time. Do you let them cry and go in every so often and try to calm them?
I guess i just dont know when its ok? i know parents that believe in this from day one my SIL has always let her 8month old CIO where i never let my 4 month old cry for longer then i have to i always go running as fast as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Does your 18 month old just not want to go to bed or does he not want to go to bed by himself? Is he used to you laying with him? CIO did not work with my 20 month old when he was younger, it was useless trying (worked like magic with his older brother) but with my younger one I had to sit beside him until he fell asleep. Every couple of nights I just moved a little farther away. If he would start to fuss, I would just tell him I was still there. He now will go to sleep by himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think 12 months and later, I have a 9 month old and sometimes when I put him to bed and he don't want to, I let him fus for a while and then I go in put him back on his pillow give him his binkey or bottle with water and go, sometimes if you let them fus a little they get more tierd, besides letting them cry don't hurt them.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I don't do CIO. But if you sit with them than it's not CIO. studies have shown that the hormons don't go into that scary dangerous zone if you stay with them while they cry. this is something we went through when we night weaned our 2 1/2yr old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• looovemybabies you should google "dangers of CIO"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• So all of us who were raised on CIO are just screwed up? I think I turned out okay. I also slept on my tummy when I was a baby, as did the majority of kids born until the whole SIDS, Back to Sleep thing. "Experts" come up with crock studies all the time - I don't believe it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I don't CIO as a system and I never have. I feel it's terribly wrong. I have however held the door to my toddlers room closed while they screamed on the other side because if I saw them again I was going to kill them. I suppose you could say I CIO when I can't stand it anymore....

I suppose you could say I use CIO when my 3yr old throws a tantrum because I do my best to ignore him. When he grabs my leg I shake him loose and walk away (I must keep walking away for a while because he chases me) He will sometimes cry for up to about half and hour before he will let me pick him up without trying to beat me up.
    lig

Answer by lig at 8:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• CIO is never ok. It is NOT sleep training, it is neglect. It only works because you are teaching your LO that they can't count on you and that you won't respond to their cries.

If you need to sleep train your LO, you should try the following systems, giving each one at least 7 days before moving to the next. I have them listed in the order you should try them because they range from gentle to more stern:
    1. The No Cry Sleep Solution
    2. The Long Goodbye
    3. Ferberber (Ferber is NOT CIO. To do it right you must read the book because there is a ton of misinformation on the internet about Ferber).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My kids cried it out occasionally, but never for long. They both went through phases when they were toddlers and they just flat out didn't want to go to sleep because we had company or whatever, I had no problem letting them cry it out then. And BTW, my children are about as far from neglected as a child can get.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• "So all of us who were raised on CIO are just screwed up? I think I turned out okay. I also slept on my tummy when I was a baby, as did the majority of kids born until the whole SIDS, Back to Sleep thing. "Experts" come up with crock studies all the time - I don't believe it! "

I hate the argument...I was raised blah blah blah or I didn't blah blah my Mom didn't blah blah

hold your baby...don't let them CIO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yea its kind of hard to argue something that is true! lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2009