I'm a very stressed out mother of a very active 4 year old son who I feel in my heart of hearts is not ready for regular preschool because of his action since he was 2 years old.In my opinion I think he'll be handled better in a special ed class maybe I'm wrong but this is how I feel, any feedback positive or negative?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 1:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in

• You have very valid concerns, especially if your child's behavior problems or whatever have been going on this long. My son was diagnosed ADHD this year shortly before he turned five. Before the diagnosis though, we tried out preschool, and he was only allowed there for a month and a half before they grew tired of dealing with him. My advice to you is this....if you are truly concerned, speak to your pediatrician and ask them for a referral to a Behavioral Institute or place where they can assess your son for any issues. You didn't specify what the problems were, but you sound about as exhausted and overwhelmed as I have been feeling for the last few years. If your son is having delays of some kind then I would suggest getting him assessed through a state program to see if he qualifies. Good luck, and I hope you find the help you need for you and your son!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Follow your heart and go talk to the school about how you feel. Most schools are more then willing to talk to parents and work with parents.
    My son is 4 and will be in a normal class with a SEIT teacher. That's a special ed teacher working along the side of my son. My son didn't need full special ed, just some help. I had the some fears as you. I talked to the school, had my son tested, then we made a plan for my son.
    You will feel so much better after talking with the school personal.
    Good Luck.
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 2:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• pray and then just go by your motherly instict.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2009