Are you concerned about facebook and chats etc?

How many of you monitor the internet usage of your children? DO you monitor teh cellphone usage? Do you know who they are chatting to? Do you know if they are on facebook? Do you know if they are being cyber-bullied?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter is 14 and I monitor her internet usage religiously, both me and my daughter are very concerned about the dangers of people on the internet and sometimes she'll even inform me if she is worried about one of her friends in a situation. She has a facebook yes, but it is private and the only friends she has on there are her ones from school. Her cellphone usage I monitor a lot less, I think she needs her own privacy, but I do monitor it up to a point...as in when I get the bill at the end of the month it tells me what numbers she's been on to etc. I try to just trust her in that element though.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 7:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My son is 13 and yes I do even though I really don't have to at this point. He really isn't into chatting and only texts friends that I have approved of. I can go on line at anytime and see who my son has been calling. I check his MySpace a couple times a month and he knows to tell me when someone online is making him uncomfortable and he has. It is all about trusting our kids to tell us when someone is doing something that makes them uncomfortable and not blaming the kid or freaking out. I also have parental blockers on the internet so he can only access certain sites.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• We have a 14 year old. We read her text messages, check the history on the computer after she uses it, are her Facebook friends and have her passwords for FB and email.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My 14 year old son is on facebook. I log on as him at work everyday just to see what's going on. He knows I do this. He says none of his friends parents do this. I think they probably do, though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009