Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Travel overseas - question about temp. travel insurance etc.

Hi, I'm a mom to a 17 mths old baby girl. I'm originally from Slovenia (east of Italy) but have been living in US for 5 years now. In about 2 mths I'm taking my daughter to visit my family. I'm used to flying but this will be the 1st time with a child. I got seats for both of us and preordered child meal, I'm planning to bring DVD player with cartoons, some new toys, crayons, etc.
... What I want to know is does anyone have experience with temporary travel insurance? Do I need it, how & where to get it, and how it works..?
And another thing, my husband is not joining us because of his work... I've heard I need a notarized consent to take our daugther out of the country by myself.., is it ok if we just type it up and get it notarized or is it like a special form that I get somewhere?

Any feedback/tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,

Answer Question

Asked by foegirl at 3:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Travel

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You need to get her a passport. He has to go with you to do this. We just traveled from the US to Japan with our kids this summer, so trust me on this :-) lol - or, you can call the State Dept / check out their website for more info about it.

    As far as insurance goes, if you're talking about health insurance or life insurance, I would suggest calling your insurance provider about it and see what they say, because it's going to depend on what your specific policy says.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • BTW - I would start the passport stuff NOW - because it can take awhile, though you can pay more to have it expedited.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • Your child is only 17 months old, you only need her / his photo and then you can go to your local post office to send in the application.
    I did travel alone with my son to Eastern Europe. You do not need special permission from your husband.
    We used the German airline Condor , they did give plenty of things for my little boy-coloring books ,crayons and other little things.
    You need to be ready for security screenings in Europe,it can take longer time but I personally did feel more safe there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • You need a passport and I haven't a clue about the notary. W/ the travel insurance, there are several and I used one for Africa. But, call your current insurance as sometimes they cover a percent abroad should you need it. Usually you have to pay up front and they reimburse. But get a clear picture of this first.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • I bought travel insurance when I went to Brazil because my personal policy didn't cover me. It was really inexpensive. I didn't need it, but I think I paid less than $30 for it. I bought it online from a company that specialized in travel insurance.

    Answer by lvpenguino at 6:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

  • The letter isn't necessary but it is helpful. We write one up and get it notarized when I'm traveling without my hubby. Basically you just want it to say when you're going, when you're coming back, and where you're traveling to. I know we found a sample letter by googling but I don't remember what phrase we looked up. I've only been asked for it once, ironically while flying home, but I was glad I had it. My hubby was asked for one once too because we were in separate lines (hubby and son are US citizens, I'm a LPR) so they just had someone come over to check my passport and give him the all clear.

    Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.