Going back to school....

Okay, so I live in Detroit, Mi, and the job market is HORRIBLE here (unless you have a trade or work in the health care field). I am seriously considering going back to school full time to get my RN license so I can be done in as quick as possible...the prob with that is I have a 2 year old and baby #2 due in Jan...if I go to school full-time, I will have to live off PA for a couple years until Im done....BUT...if I go to school part-time and work full/part-time I will NEVER have any time with my kids (especially the new baby)...they will basically be being raised by the daycare provider, and I wouldn't be completely on PA but I would be ASS broke...my SO is laid off right now, and not receiving unemployment, has been looking, but no luck, so no other income there...I know if I go to school full-time I will be done quicker, and I won't need PA once I'm licensed, but I will be sacrificing a lot..what should i do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you should do what you feel is best for you and your family. even if the means be on PA for a short about of time. That is what its there for, for people like you who will need it temporarily. If he feel to ashamed to do that, I understand. you have options hun, choose what is best. GL

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If you feel comfortable living off of public assistance I would try for that. You can also look into getting a job at your college. Many schools have a time limit of only being allowed to work 7-10 hours a week so you won't have to worry about an abundance of hours and schools are always more compassionate about taking off to study and such.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 7:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think you need to move, is that an option?
    baboosmom

Answer by baboosmom at 1:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Go for it! The couple years of hardship will be worth being able to provide for your kids for years to come. Nothing wrong with using PA while you truly need it!
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 3:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009