How honest are you when someone announces the name of their baby and you don't like it?

Especially if it's someone close to you, how honest are you? I keep my opinions to myself because I feel that even if I may not like the name, it's not really my place to be like "eck are you serious?" And for the most part, even if it's a name I would never pick I can see the potential cuteness of the name for the baby to be.

Someone in my family is being a class A jerk about the name we chose for our son due in 3 months. Everytime I mention his name she gives a grunt of disapproval, then it turns into me saying "you'll like the name, once you see him you'll love it!" etc etc

She then goes on to tell me that everyone in my husband's family is making fun of it and I say I get compliments on the name and she goes "not from over here" I mean why on earth keep going with this argument. Just shut up and be respectable. I know not everyone will like the name we pick, but sheesh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i've never been the one to speak up about a name. i feel like its not my child so its not my buisness. however, all of my friends and most of my family we're brutally honest and kinda rude when i announced that i was naming my daughter rhiannon... most thought that it was the most disgusting name they have heard and that i should pick a more common name, that would be easier for my daughter to live with when she is older.
    mommymandaa

Answer by mommymandaa at 9:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think she just be respectful, this in the end is YOUR baby, no-one elses (well bar your husband). If I don't like a name I keep it to myself, because everybody has different tastes out there, and it's nothing to do with me, no matter how close I am to them, why should you tarnish it in their mind? I think you should just ignore her, she's belittling herself by doing this. Good Luck to you and I hope everything goes well for you and your baby :D.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 7:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• "Just shut up and be respectable."

You said a mouthful right there and that is what you should tell this person. I know it's family and blah, blah, blah, but this is your child and you can't have her saying these things once he's born...think about him being 5 years old and this family members still reacting this way...or, worse yet, telling him how horrible his name is?!?!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved the name "Jessica." It's a very '80's name, but I still loved it. And since I was like 8, I knew I was going to name my daughter Jessica Marie. It was after DD came along and we named her Keeley that my mom told me that she HATED the name Jessica and so so thrilled I didn't give my daughter that name. Granted, she should have kept her mouth shut being that I could name daughter #2 Jessica, but still...she was wise enough to shut it until she felt it was safe I not use.

Honestly is not always the best policy!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think if it were a name I hated I would say "it is not something that I would have chosen" but to also reiterate that everyone has a different opinion. It would be pretty bad if every child was named either Jack or Jane! That is what makes them unique. I would be honest, however not go on and on about it. I would respect my friends love for the name and be kind about her choices!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If it is before the baby is actually named this, and especially if your opinion was asked, then you can delicately say why you have a problem with it. Once the baby has the name, make no comment unless you are urged to say something. Then come up with something nice to say. Once the baby has the name it is too late to change it, and any negative comments will only cause bad feelings and offense.

Answer by Bmat at 8:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think as long as the child will not be ridiculed (sp)? for the name, others should keep their comments to themselves. My children have uncommon names, Chelsea Deanna, Tori Ashton, and Ethan Tyler, other family members did not like one or all parts of the name but OH WELL, its my child and the names fit. They will not be made fun of because of their names so that's all I care about.
    Tell her she does not have to like the name, it is your child..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Whats the name and I will be honest :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If I hate a name someone picked out I'l ljust say "wow, thats different ...how did you come up with it?"
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 8:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Don't mention the name to her again. You know what her reaction will be, so why do the dance again? She isn't going to let up as long as there is a chance of changing your mind. Hopefully she will shut up after the baby is born and offically named. Until then she is on a mission to spare your child from a name that she obviously thinks is a really bad idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If I really have a strong objection to a name, I'll find a delicate way to say what I object to. If I only dislike that the name reminds me of an old lady or someone I hated in middle school, I'll hold my tongue. Thank God my SIL didn't tell me ahead of time that she was naming her daughter Colby. I suspect if I responded with, "you mean like the cheese?" like I did when my FIL called to tell us, she would've been pissed.
    Anonymous