Is it normal for stitches to fall out on their own?

My DH had oral surgery last Wednesday where they uplifted his sinuses and built up his upper jaw bone by inserting a cow bone. He has a row of stitches on the side of his jaw inside his cheek and a few on his gum where a tooth was.

Yesterday as he was eating some soup (he's on a liquid and pureed diet) a stitch came out. There was no blood and I told him to call his doctor Monday (today).

He woke me up this morning and told me 2 more stitches came out as he was using the prescription mouth rinse the doctor gave him. Again, no blood, and he will be calling his doctor first thing this morning.

Do you think this is normal or could there be something wrong?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 7:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Health

• Depending on the type of stitched they used, but with my oral surgery, yes two of them came out on there own, no blood etc... With my abdominal surgery, one came out and the rest disolved.. Best to check, sounds like he had major surgery but they usually stay in a week, to 6 weeks if they are the kind that disolve.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It depends on the type of stitches they used, but I think if they used those types they would have explained it to him. All you can do is call the doctor and check, sounds like you know what to do.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I know they weren't the dissolveable stitches because he had an appointment in 2 weeks to have them taken out.
    I'm worried that perhaps the skin is stretched too thin over the new bone and that things won't fuse or heal the way they are supposed to.
    Thanks for your input - I appreciate it. :)

By the way, he had a bite of donut 1 hour before surgery so they gave him the option to either reschedule or go with the topical numbing agent - he chose to have it done with the topical. It was a 3 hour surgery and it kept wearing off. What a nut! LOL He's in a lot of pain now, though. Poor guy. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2009