Do you encourage your child to do extra credit work even if their grade is good at the time?

This is only the second week of school and my daughter in 10th grade was given an assignment for extra credit if she wanted to do it.
The teacher explained that she rarely offers extra credit work and the students have a whole week to work on it (due this Friday).
She has a terrible track record with keeping up her grades and I told her I would like for her to do it but she doesn't seem interested in it.

Should I force her or let her decide whether she wants to do it or not?

Would you encourage your child or just leave it be and figure they'll do it on their own if they really want to?

Just curious - thanks.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 8:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in

• I have told our son (13) that doing the extra credit just helps keep it fresh in his mind for when test time comes. And if he doesn't do as well on the test, then he got a few extra points from doing the extra credit work. Anything to help his overall grade.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would encourage. It is good to have a little buffer on the grades, and if the chance comes for extra credit they should take it. Who knows but that in the future they might get a bad grade in the class and the extra credit would help the final grade.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would encourage it, but iw ouldnt force it. If she doesnt do it and then she later gets a bad grade maybe she will regret not doing it and doing it next time.

But also its important for her to learn to make these kinds of decisions so I would sit down and help her figure out the pros and cons of the assignment and then leave the decision up to her. Shes old enough now to make these kinds of decisions mostly on her own
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 10:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I encourage it. My son is a straight A student (not bragging thats what he gets) and he always does the extra credit when it's assinged to the class. It's not forced and he likes the extra practice.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Of course I do. We did a really big piece for 100 day last year. However, like MrsLeftlane said, if your kid doesn't do well on a test, the EC adds up. I took Advanced Placement Anatomy and Physiology in my senior year of high school. It is a first year college level class. Well I could only muster a C+ on anything not matter how I tried. I was really upset about it. Well, AP classes where I went counted for one grade higher, so in essence it was weighed as a B. Well, the fourth rating period, if you came to class every Friday (senior skip days) you got 5 extra credit points and 5 more if you participated in the activity. I ate a piece of tongue, felt an eyeball, took a urinalysis...hmm yes and I got my A lol...those 10 points added up.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Extra credit is always good. I feel that any part of education is worth doing, even if you don't get credit for it. Knowledge is always good and something that can't be taken away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I definitely would,because what is she failed a a test/quiz or something?Then the extra credit would boost it up.
    Hope I helped
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 9:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I don't encourage, I require. They never know if they will need those extra points later.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't force a child to do extra credit, but I would definately encourage it. It always helps to have a little back up on the grades in case a grade comes back bad later.
    RedSonja94

Answer by RedSonja94 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009