Do you have an adult child who is finished with high school and still living at home?

What sort of rules do you set for your adult child?
If they aren't in college, do you make them get a job and pay rent?
If they have a child(ren) and live with you, how does that affect your life?
Do you allow boyfriends/girlfriends sleep overnight in the same room with your adult child?

I'm just curious.
You don't have to answer all my questions. I just want to get a general idea of what life is like in other households for parents with adult children still living at home.
Thanks. :)

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 8:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have 2 sons, one 20 and one 19. They paid their cell bills, gas and eating out. One is in college and working, the other just took a semester off from college and is working full time. One is looking at getting a truck and will pay the payment. I do buy them a pair of pants once in awhile or a shirt. I thought I was spoiling them but after reading some of these, I must be kind of strict. One that works but no college right now does take out trash. They both are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. (Not that it's that clean. but I'm not going to do it.) If I ask them to do something in the house, they do it. They could do better but hey they could be worse. They will start paying their insurance soon! (car insurance)
    bertie4

Answer by bertie4 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Im 25yr old & we live with my mom. she wants us here & does not want to live alone. There are no rules, just simply letting her know whats going on (if we are gonna be late/not be home). I stay at home with dd & dh works but we do not pay rent. we have alot of hospital debt from dd spending 1wk at Texas Childrens. But again, we are more than wanted here.. My mom loves having dd around. As soon as dd was old enough (2yrs) my mom started having dd sleep with her. . I dont use my mom as a babysitter either. . dh does live with us.. dh has lived with us for 10yrs-- since we where in highschool.
    Personally its the opposite of the "usual" parents want them out... Id love to move out of moms house. but i think she would fall apart without us here & life would be much harder financially for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• im 22 years old and have a 3 month old son, im a full time student and almost done with my associates degree. i dont have a job. me and my fiance live in an apartment that my mom got for us, its in her name and she pays most of the rent. the rent is 1250, my fiance gives her 500 a month. she pays for my food, my car payment, car insurance, cell phone, clothes, etc. She is helping me until im done with college in 2 years and can pay my own bills. For now, she wants me to focus on being a mom and keeping my GPA up instead of trying to get some part time job that i can only afford day care with my paycheck. I obviously dont have any cerfews or rules. my mom is a good women! hope i can be half the mom she is one day. i would do the same for my kids.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• oh and my mom also watches my son over night two days a week so i can catch up on sleep, have some me time, and she can spend some time with her grandson. she loves it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My son is 22 and has a full time job and is also in the National Guard. I prefer no girl friends sleep over here,but sometimes his buddies do. He does contribute to the utilities and food. No matter the age,its my rules or the highway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I HAVE TWO OUT OF THREE LIVING AT HOME, MY DAUGHTER WHO IS 30, AND MY SON WHO JUST CAME BACK FROM FSU EARNING A BACHELOR IN COMMUNICATION AND GRADUATED CUM LAUDE WITH A FULL BLOWN SCHOLARSHIP. WE TAKE TURNS DOING THE DISHES (ALTHOUGH I DO HAVE A DISHWAHER) AND THE OLY RULE I HAVE FOR THEM IS TO LET ME KNOW WHERE THEY ARE GOING IN CASE THEY GET LOST I KNOW WHERE TO LOOK. IF THEY WILL NOT BE SLEEPING AT HOME, I NEED AN "I AM ALIVE CALL" AND FRIENDS COME OVER ONLY ON WEEKENDS. MY DAUGHTER JUST LOST HER JOB BUT I DIDN'T TAKE ANY MONEY FROM HER EXCEPT THE CELL PHONE $ THAT IS IN MY NAME. MY SON DOES NOT HAVE A JOB YET BUT HE CAN LIVE AT HOME AND SAVE HIS RENT BUT WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR HIS GAS AND INSURANCE, JUST LIKE HIS SISTER DOES.
    BASICALLY WHAT IS MINE IS THEIRS, THEY HAVE NEVER TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THIS POLICY, AND THEY CAN LIVE WITH ME AS LONG AS THEY WANT IN THESE RULES AND IF ANYTHING CHANGES FINANCIALLY WISE WE WILL ADJUST.

Answer by older at 3:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I am about to be 20 in October, and was living with my parents until about June.
    Since I had my 1st job (even though it was part time) I was paying to live there. This was after i graduated from high school ...CLASS OF 2008! I have always paid my own car insurance, my bills(cell and cedit card) my parents never did. My parents let my Boyfriend stay over night since i was 17...and I dont have a child. My parents were strict, and all rules still applied while I was living under there roof.

although not all of this is for every one, it worked amazingly with my parents.

I now live on my own, with my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years (the only one that ever slept over.)
    I have a full time job with the state.
    And me and my Boyfriend are trying for our 1st child!!

EmilyAnn1012

Answer by EmilyAnn1012 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No, thankfully. My oldest started college after he finished high school, my 2nd child moved out after he graduated and my younger 2 are going off to college after the graduate. I raised men who are independent, not momma's boys who sponge off their parents. I couldn't handle having adult children living at home, our house is too small for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• ANON225AM, You got it. These kids are SO taking advantage of poor old mom. The first reply 835AM is so full of crap and she has no idea. And  PURPLEbutterfly, Honey its TIME TO GROW UP!!! Your Mother already DID HER JOB. What a selfish little brat you are. You should BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OMG my mom and dad made me start paying my bills at 15. I had a phone bill and a car payment. My senior year I worked forty hours a week. I paid for all of my senior stuff plus my wedding. I got married at 18. I also graduated top of my class. My parents basically pushed me out of the nest so to speak. I am not going to do that to my kids. My little brother is 21 he still lives at home. My parents help him with his bills. He has a job paying him 40 grand a year. But they will do anything for him. I also wanna treat my kids equally. They also bought his first vehicle for him. And they didn't want him working during highschool either.
    SouthernMOM1981

Answer by SouthernMOM1981 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2009