i really need some info on this one ladies......

so DH & I are expecting our 1st child. He has a child that he pays support for. So I told him when the baby is born he needs to let them know that he has another child. He said no bc they would raise his support. Now he pays 500 a mth for 1 kid. He did get a raise & now makes 17. a hr instead of 15. but I told him that they would have to slpit support between the two kids.
We live in Texas and I dont know how it works, so I was looking to see if anyone could help me out on this one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are wrong. He is right. The law doesn't work that way in Texas (actually I would be surprised to find it work that way in any state). His first child gets a percentage of his income as support. You don't get a percentage because you are pregnant - if his child support is going to be a financial problem for you two, then you should have thought of that before you agreed to have a child with him. Just because he is having another child does not mean that his first child deserves less support. And yes, he is absolutely right. If he went to have his child support changed - the only change would be that he would pay more, because he makes more.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• POSTER~~~~~~~
    NO what I am asking is if it makes a difference how many kids he has to support when they do they child support? I know my sister has her sons father on support and they took into consideration that he has 3 other kids to support along with her son. No I mean his support is not a financial problem for us at all. We have been together for 5 years, so I am use to the support being taking out, I work also so it is not a problem. I was just wondering how they divide the support. I am talking about when the baby is born witll they take into consideration that he is supporting another child also. I think that they do ask if they have any other kids to support. Well at least that is what I heard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Oh, okay. In Texas each divorce and child support order is treated as a separate case - and therefore awarded separately without consideration of the number of children the dad has by different moms. Now, he could have something like that done - BUT he would have to have the ex agree to it. Which may not be likely. I mean getting the other woman to agree to have her child receive less support because the man has or is having another child by someone else, is not very likely. A judge can award whatever the two parties agree to (if he feels it's within reason and allows for proper support of the child). Example: Our judge awarded me a "no visitation" order.

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• The first child will get 500.00 you will get less than that, probably 200.00.
    My kids father pays 175.00 for his 1st 135.00 for his 2nd and Ill get the shit end of the deal, what ever that may be...but it will be less than 135.00.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 9:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• They do not count your comming child. They only look at his income and raise it accordly . let it be or he will be paying 600.00 a month. My friend pays 800.00 a month and he thought that when he had two other kids with another woman that the support would go down he was so wrong. They raised it because he had changed jobs and was making more money. You can only go to court every three years to have it modified. He barly makes it now that he has other kids to raise and the kids he pays for suffer because they don't see him because he says he stays broke and can't afford the drive, only two hours away and does not call. He is angry but it is his fault because he should have thought about it before he had othere kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• In some states, I think, the mother that gets the child support can ask for a re-evaluation of income so she can get the full amount entitled to the child. Just something to think about.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• POSTER~~~~~~
    Oh ok I understand now. I did not know how they were going to do it. I have had people tell me different things as to where the frist child would not get the full 20% because of the other children and that they would split it. I guess not. We really dont need to open a child suport case bc we are married, but I was told that I needed to in order to save him some on his child support. I guess I will have to let him know that we are not going to persue it at all.
    Thanks ladies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• POSTER~~~~~
    Yeah amileegirl she did that like last year some time. She wanted him to give her some money for something and he said no bc she does get 250.00 faithfully every two weeks and she had just got a payment a few days before. But yeah she got mad and a month later we got a letter saying that he had to go in for a child support review. She called talking about see all i wanted was for you to give me an extra 100.00 but you wouldnt so now I am going to get more.
    Turns out she did end up getting an extra 50 bucks a month. That sucks. It amazes me how women are when it comes to babys dads and child support. They expect all the money but dont allow the dad to see the child, but that is a whole different story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2009