What do callers hear on your answer machine or voicemail when they call you?

My home phone says, "Hello, you have reached the H____ residence. We are unable to answer the phone right now but would appreciate you leaving your name and number so we can return your call as soon as we can. Have a great day!"

My cell phone says, "You have reached the phone of Karla H____ but I can't answer right now. Leave a message if you want. Thanks!"

So, what does yours say?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 8:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Hello. This is (last 4 numbers of phone number). Please leave your message after the beep.

I want to make sure people know they have reached the number they wanted, and I also want it as short as possible so their time isn't wasted. I twitch when I am making a call and have to wait through a long answering machine message- a friend has a musical number play and then the message. I have other things to do than listen to that.

Answer by Bmat at 8:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Our answering machine says, "You've reached ***-****. If you've got something to say then say it, you know the drill. And if you don't then why the hell are you calling?" LOL
    It's my dad's phone and he's had that message for years. The people at the kids school (a Catholic school) complain about it every time they have to call our house.
    My cell phone just has the automated response that tells you to leave a message at the beep.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• An automated voice. I hated answering machines when I had a home phone and I've never recorded a message for my voice-mail. I always wanted the caller-id answerer - sort of like you just scroll through the numbers that called and hit delete to delete BOTH the number that called and the message they left at the same time. That would be convenient. (Course, I'm a bit cynical about it - it took me 3 years to get a divorce and put up with a lot of stupid message during those 36 months - having to scroll and delete each call THEN having to go through the message one at a time and delete those).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Bmat - what an awesome idea! I'll have to rethink mine.

LOL justanotherjen....too funny!

PaceMyself - I know what you mean. I hate a lot of messages, too, especially the recordings or empty air ones. I got rid of 95% of them by signing my phone number in the Do Not Call Registry.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• "Hey, this is Sarah M--------, I can't answer the phone so leave a message and I'll call you back."

Awhile back when I lived with my parents as a teen, I changed theirs to fuck with people. I said this in a childish voice: "Hello? ..... Hello? Hello??! You're scaring me!!!" and made a little crying noise. Well, my grandma was the first person to get the VM!! She started calling my parent's cell phones saying that she made my baby sister cry!!! HAHAHA I thought it was hilarious!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My home phone currently has the sound of chewing and slobber, because my 8 month old pulled it down and started pushing buttons and trying to eat the machine! it sounded so cute with the baby sounds, and giggles, I don't think I can EEVVERRR erase it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Ours is the default machine voice. I think it says "No one is available to take you call. Please leave a message after the tone." Almost nobody leaves a message, and that's fine.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Home phone...Hi, you've reached Bill, Susan and the 6 pack...we have 6 kids, please leave your name, number and a brief message, we will return your call.

Cell phone, You've reached the voice mail of Susan Alexander, I am not available at the moment, kindly leave your name, number and a brief message and I will return your call.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Home phone/Fax line_ Hi, you've reached the Salvaggio family. We never answer this phone so don't leave a message. Call our cells. Nobody ever calls or leaves a message.

My cell- Hi you've reached ____. Sorry I missed your call as I'm on the other line or away in a meeting, please leave your name, number and a brief message and I'll get back with you as soon as possible. Thank you!

DH cell- For a businessman he has the rudest message. "Yo, Leave a message like my underwear....BRIEF!"
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009