Has your dog ever bitten anyone?

Our 3 1/2 year old dog bit my husband's hand out of the blue last week and we decided to give him over to the animal shelter because our infant granddaughter lives with us and pulls on anything she can get her hands on.

I miss him terribly, but I love my family with all my heart.
We did the right thing, didn't we?
I guess I'm looking for comfort - sorry.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 8:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pets

• you did the right thing, if the dog bite your husband, an adult, it is not to be trusted around children
    we had a black lab, huge male dog, very attached to husband. he bite his then 4 or 5 year old ( iwas not here then) she was pulling on his ears or something on his face. he not only bit her, but tore open her face, she needed stitches in three places on her face and now at 9 she still has scars.
    the other dog he had, we still have around, she is a black lab too, 13 now, and when i had my baby i was really watching for any sign, but sson realized that this dog was as gentle as can be, this dog did growl at any other dog that got within feet of me and mine baby. but this dog is female, had a litter of puppies years ago and is just plain different than the other. i would trust this dog with any child. my DD is 2 and puts her blanket on the dogs back and has sat on her back.
    the dog just takes it
    you did the right thing
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yeah, you probably did the right thing. You could have called in a trainer to find out why the dog bit the hand that feeds it - you know, like Cesar Milan says - the people are usually the ones causing, instilling or enabling the problem. BUT if having a trainer come in is not something you could afford OR if you just would never feel comfortable with the dog - then you absolutely did the right thing.

My 1st husband had a shepherd X when we met and married. That dog bit our son on our son's 1st birthday (because the baby got near his food) - I wanted to have him turned over - but my 1st husband insisted that we not - so I started working VERY HARD with the dog - by the time we had baby #2 - the baby could actually crawl into the dog bowl and hand feed the dog - I took that lesson and learned from it - I retrained a 5 year old dog. It could be done - but it takes a lot of work and bonding with the dog to achieve it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ummm yes and no yes because you care for your family NO because you didn't bother to try anything training wise or to see why he did or even try to rehome him to an actual home. so now instead of sitting on your nice floor with his family.. he is now sitting on a cold slate of concrete with a cage and his poop and stained urine smell is there till they decide to clean it, and no playing or feeling loved right now for him... sorry you were a tad to quick to do that 2 him, or at least not try to find him another home first
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You only did the right thing if you informed them of the dog's bite history. Without a history that dog could be rehomed again with children. Of course, having a bite history is usually a death sentence, especially in a municipal shelter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• no not to hurt you. maybe in play. what if the dog had done more damage later. you'd feel really bad then.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• well my oldest dog (she's 3 1/2) bites my son when they play but has never broken the skin and when she bites too hard she stops and gives him I'm sorry kisses. the puppy doesn't bite.

I did give a dalmatian away that would bite at the kids. I gave her to friends that had older kids(in their late teens early 20s) that had more time to give hefor exercise since she needed lots.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Never. I have a boxer/pit bull and he has never shown any signs of aggression except for when he's protecting me or my daughter.
    I think you should have tried to train your dog, or figured out why he bit. Like PaceMyself said, usually it is something the human does to provoke the dog. Dogs will give signs that they're going to bite before they do it; it's not random, people just choose to ignore the warnings their animals give off.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2009