When can I start giving my baby "vitamins"?

My dd is 15 months... she's about the same height as her other baby friends, but a few months ago her pedi said she's "taller than she is heavy". in other words a little underweight.

i try my best to feed her everything she needs to be eating. but she never seems that hungry. she hardly finishes a whole jar per meal. is that normal? afterwards i'll usually give her cheerios and a bottle of milk.

would vitamins help at all? i thought it'd be a good supplement in case she's missing out on any other nutrients her little growing body would need. if it does help which type do you prefer? (liquid, brand, etc.)

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is a liquid vitamin you can give to children under the age of 2. I'm not remembering the name of it, but it's right with the vitamins in the store. I'd ask your Pediatrician the dosage to give.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My older 3 children were all on PolyViSol with Iron because they were anemic - so am I, it was not a surprise. But, my middle son is underweight and it's not because he's missing any nutrients, he's the healthiest eater out of all of them! It's just his frame, he looks exactly like my brother - tall and skinny. You can ask your ped, but I would imagine it's just her genetics. Feed her when she's hungry, but don't force her to eat because she's thin.

Answer by missanc at 9:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ^___^ that's what i keep telling her grandma. she's fine. she's just a bit thin like me.. and her dad.

my metabolism is crazy. it burns up everything i eat. i've struggled to gain weight all my life. but i also wasn't sure if babies were like that. i guess some are. LOL!

well i guess i just want to make sure she's getting everything she needs...

Thanks moms!

-op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• She's 15 months old and still eating jar food? Maybe she doesn't like it. Have you tried giving her table food.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes. I've given her table food. but she doesn't always seem to like what we eat or what i make her, so i'm never sure if she's getting enough of what she needs? i'm very unsure of what to feed her at the moment.

lately i've just tried to give her both- jar food, then give her things to feed herself along with a bottle of milk/juice/water... but... idk.

-op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009