What am I doing wrong???

My 20 month old son only wants to be clinged to my mom constantly.
It didn't bother me at first, but now its getting a little out of hand.
He doesn't even want me to hold him and he doesn't come near me when she's around. Is this normal? Have any of you had this happen to you?
It really hurts my feelings and im so embarrassed when we are at the doctor's office and he wants to be with my mom so he cries when i take him away from her. I don't know it's really bothering me alot. :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dunno, I kind of always liked it when my children clinged to my mom, gave me break. But then I live 2 hours from them, so was never a real issue
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• just yesterday we were at grandmas and my 2 yr old was loving the grandma time, i love it, i used to bother me a bit, but know i see it as a break for me. i am glad she trusts another person so much, it shows how loving her grandmother is. kids go through stages, sometimes she is a daddys girl, and then for months she wants me when she is really tired or comes to me first when she falls. right now she prefers me to dad, not all the time but when she needs comfort, i am waiting for her next daddy stage so i can get a bit of a break

i wish a had a family member around more, to get more breaks

it sounds like your mom is araound a lot more than my situation, so it is natural for a toddler to cling to her, enjoy the time and it is a good time to be able to watch how your child interacts with another, when it is just her with you , you do not get to watch the interaction

i understand the jealously factor, but try to enjoy
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My sister has this problem with my mom and my niece. I feel so bad when my see the look on my sister's face when my niece wants mema instead of her mom. My daughter is kind of the same way, but not as extreme and we are not around my mom as much, so I feel like the other posters, it is a nice break. But if it was all the time yeah I would be really upset. Maybe you could ask your mom to back off a little or if possible limit the time they spend together so you can re-bond a little bit. Good Luck and I hope you feel better. Remember no matter what you are his mom and he is always going to love you.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• How often is she with your mom? Do you have a good amount of patience for your child?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my ds does that w/ his great grandfather. everytime he's around, he only wants him. but, when i do go pick him up after work, he does come to me. but, when he does refuse me, i just chalk it up to them letting him do whatever he wants.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009