my daughter will NOT eat breakfast before school! help!

every morning before school i try to get my daughter who is 6 to eat something, dont want her to get hungry at school. yet she refuses everything i give her or offer, i've let her pick out what she wants for breakfast but when 7:30 comes around she doesn't want it. she never complains that she was hungry at school & has always been like this but i'm worried. i've always heard breakfast is the MOST important meal of the day. what should i do?

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her that eating breakfast will help her have more energy and feel more alert in the morning. I discovered this when I was in college. I'm not hungry in the morning so would skip breakfast. When I student-taught, lunch was not provided, so I'd eat a big breakfast and buy a small lunch, since I didn't have much money at all, and breakfast was included in the cost of my room. I discovered that eating breakfast really did increase my energy and alertness, and it wasn't caffeine- I didn't drink coffee or tea- it was protein and carbs. So if she'll eat a few bites of something- say a half a grilled cheese sandwich, or some yogurt, or a half bacon or ham or egg sandwich, it would help her.

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• well my BF cant eat before work , bc he gets sick ... so i buy things he can take out quick and eat (crackers , pop tarts ... etc) have you tried just giving her something small like that, requires no cooking ... ? ... my son never wanted breakfast either, and he woke up around 7:30,all he wanted was a cup of milk til lunch! and when id make him eat (if we had drs apts and lunch would be late) id make him have toast. does she like yogurt?
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well, I don't have much advice for you, but I'm in the same boat with my preschooler. He won't eat breakfast at all. Even at home. I was worried about preschool, and his getting hungry while he was there. They do have a snack time, but it's pretzels or goldfish or similar - certainly not enough to survive on! But I can't MAKE him eat, so I offer things I know he likes in the morning, and if he eats, great. Otherwise, I figure he'll eventually learn.

Good luck to you, and I hope you get some good advice - I'm going to be watching your question!
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 9:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• another thing i used for my son , when he just "didnt like" (didnt wanna try) what i made -- he LOVED spiderman and john cena! -- well i told him , thats how they got so strong , by eating (fill in the blank w/ what i made) ... and he was always trying new things ... before he'd say his favorite foor was cheesies (lol) now its a salad,w/ carrots and cucnumbers (cucumbers lol) and ranch dressing on the side! lol ... hearing a 3 y/o order that is too funny!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my middle dd is like that. she can't eat right after getting up.

so I get her up about 20minutes before breakfast time - she's had enough time to wake up and get moving that she can eat.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My son is 8 and he hasnt really been a breakfast eater either i do offer it i always do but he usually just drinks some choc milk and he is on his way. if he does eat breakfast he always throws it up at school so i quit forcing it on him. They do have snack time so i would pack her something for that.
    brenlanmiamom

Answer by brenlanmiamom at 9:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My son is the same way - just never wants breakfast. I used to make him at least drink 1/2 glass of juice. Now I just let him be - he's 9. They have a snack at school so I just make sure it's something healthy.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Just let her be. I've never been a breakfast eater and usually skipped it as a child. Now as an adult I find if I eat breakfast in the morning it screws up my blood sugar and I feel worse during the day (more sluggish and sick to my stomach--that comes from blood sugar issues and lactose intolerance). I rarely eat anything before 11am which is when we have lunch (lately I haven't been eating until 1pm).
    I may feel hungry but I concentrate better WITHOUT eating. I don't force my kids to eat breakfast. If they don't want to that is their choice but I won't listen to them whine that they are hungry before lunch (if they are home) or that they were hungry at school since it was their choice.
    My kids (in 4th, 2nd and 1st) grades get to bring a snack to school which is at like 9:20. They usually forget, though. My 9yo skips breakfast a lot but whines she is always hungry. She annoys me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If she won't eat then she'll be hungry. After her belly starts growling around 10 am and she's so tired she can't concentrate on her schoolwork a few days in a row, she'll eat her breakfast.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Maybe she just isn't hungry that early. I know with my I feel sick first thing in the morning most days and don't want to eat for while. I usually just skip breakfast.
    I would see if maybe you could get her to drink a little bit... maybe a couple of ounces of a breakfast shake or something to give her a little sugar and protien
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2009