Gardisil

I'm not anti-vax but when it comes to the gardisil vaccine, I am. I told my husband that I didn't want our DDs to get it. My niece was at school and they have her the 'vaccine' without telling my sister or BIL when she was 9. I was like, "OHHH if someone gave my DD a vaccine without telling/asking me, it would be ON!" I started reading all the papers I sign for school a little better, just in case it says something on there about 'shots' and letting the school administer them.
I don't want them to get the vaccine because it's too new. They can decide to get it for themselves when they become teens and/or early twenties. I am not letting them get it. I'm against it for now.
Is anyone else against the Gardisil vaccine for now? And Why?
AND PLEASE don't make this about regular vax VS non-vax because that isn't what this is about. We get it - some people VAX, some DON'T. We're all evil for our choices (<--sarcasm). THANKS.

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Health

• No WAY for my girls! I had cervical cancer, a LEEP, and a baby after that and Im fine, no other reoccurances or anything. I think Gardisil is too new, has too many side effects and there are way more strands of HPV than the vax covers. Im more for teaching my girls no sex and safe sex through out their yrs. HPV is mainly carried by boys and passed on to the girls, so, if Im teaching my girls safe sex, well, in my mind thats better than a vax that just came out, covers not near enough and causes way too many side effects
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My daughter is 10 years old and she will NOT be getting Gardisil. I see no need for it. I met a lady who's teen daughter got the gardisil shot and it about destroyed her immune system and that daughter was very ill. Now whether or not that for SURE had anything to do with the shot, who knows, but it was enough for me to choose not to do it for my daughter, her peditirican agrees with me as well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• As some one who has HPV and had cervical cancer, I say no to it. You can prevent having HPV turning to cancer by having regular pap smears to screen for precancerous cells as soon as you suspect your child is sexually active. With annual pap smears it cuts the chances of having cervical cancer to almost zero. The vaccine Just can't do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No our daughter will not get it. I agree with you that it is way too new. We don't really know the long term effects and/or benefits from it. My daughter can decide to get it when she is an adult. Also, though not as important/strong a reason, HPV can be prevented by abstinence. That is what hubby and I did and we will teach our kids. I don't think it is wortht he risk at this point, with it being fairly new. Obviously our kids will make their own choices one day, but then they can choose the vaccine then too!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It is too new and having WAY too many side effects, in my opinion.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 11:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'm not getting it. It is pointless. It only may protect again 3 or 4 strains out of the hundreds of strains of HPV. Most don't get HPV until they are 30ish according to studies and this vaccine only lasts 5 years. And it has caused WAYY too many deaths for my taste. My doctor supports my decision.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009