how many times a day can a telemarketer call before its called harrassment?

it's 9:45am and the same telemarketer has called three times within the hour already. i have told them to stop calling twice now and they wont quit. its driving me insane!! they call from 8 in the morning until 9 at night. it pisses me off when they call so late because my kids are already in bed. how many times call they call before i can report them for harrassment?

aguerra13

Asked by aguerra13 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Go onto the national do not call registry website and register. after 30 days you can file complaints about a company. And believe me after that they wont call. absolutely no telemarketers call my house anymore.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'm pretty sure that once you ask them to stop they have to. You may need to do it in writing. I'm not sure. Other than that, I think 3 times a day is the max. I just turn off the phone. If it's that important, they'll leave a message.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Put your number on the nation do not call list, you can do it online or by phone.... When they call again, you must tell them to remove your name or number from the calling list, if you do not tell them that, technically they can keep calling you, after you tell them that, let them know you have there number and name and if they call again after this conversation you will contact the FCC.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I believe that each different one can only call once after you tell them to take you off but it may take them a day to remove you from their system.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I was a telemarketer when I was 16. I HATED bothering people. They are not suppose to call more than 3 times in one day. So they usually give the paper to someone working mornings and again for evening shift. If you answer and tell them to take you off their calling list, legally they have to. If they call after that you can report it. Some of them just do it cause they are bored and like getting a rise out of people.
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I get the same telemarketers calling all day but when I answer they usally just hang up on my this drives me freakin crazy!!! Stating tomarrow telemarketing becomes illegal!! here is the link for more info. http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/28/robocall.ban/index.html?iref=newssearch
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 9:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• From what I understand, once you ask them to not call, they have 30 days to take you off their call list. It's after that which you could yell harassment. Is your number on the Do Not Call list? If so, you can report them to them...but you can't have dealt with this company previously, as that voids anything involving you and the list with them.

We used to have an automated thing call where you had to press "1" to talk to an operator. We'd get these calls a couple times a day. We were on the DNC list and I reported them, but it didn't do any good. Finally, I bought a whistle. When they'd call, I'd press "1" and when someone would answer, I'd blow the whistle right into the phone for about 10 seconds and hang up. Needless to say, we were removed from their list pretty quickly after that.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i worked as a telemarketer. you have to say "put me on the do not call list' and then they have to stop. you cant just say "dont call me anymore".
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• When I was suckered into signing up for cashcrate, I got calls from telemarketers all the time. The stipulation with CC was that you had to have a verifiable phone number to get a check and it had to match the number CC had on file. The amounts of calls we received outweighed the $25 monthly check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Once. If you are on the do not call list then you can threaten to report them to the FTC.

I like when telemarketers call my office because I have so much fun effing with them. Everyone usually barricades my office door when I'm messing with a telemarketer. I get this deep south, southern, senile old lazy voice and that's how they know I'm messing with a telemarketer. I ask if I can call them back because I'm watching Matlock. When they say no I talk about age, wrinkly skin, my hearing aid, hemorrhoids, my grandbabies, and whatever else pops in my mind. They hang up on me and never call back, unless it's a different company.

Have fun with it....
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2009