need some yummy rice recipes!

We love rice and I cook rice with almost every meal, but I'm running out of ideas for recipes, do you know any? thanks greatly appreciated! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We really like rice too, so I also cook it alot. I change it up alot; we do flavored rice (like chicken or beef), brown and white rice, and spicy rice (like zatarrans sp?).... The other day I made a beef stew and put rice in it- it turned out really good. I also like mixing white rice with cream of mushroom soup and baking it with chicken breasts... My son really likes broccoli so I sometimes mix rice and broccoli together. For him I've also added peas and carrots... Maybe you can google rice recipes and see what comes up
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Chicken and Rice

Ok, here is what you will need;
    3 or 4 chicken breasts
    11/2 cups of rice
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    2 soup cans of water
    1 package of Lipton onion soup
    Place rice on the bottom of a large baking dish. Pour half of the soups and water mixed over rice. Then arrange chicken pieces over soup and water mixture. Then pour remaining soup/water mixture on top. Sprinkle Lipton soup over all.

Bake until chicken are both done. Usually about 1 hour at 350 degrees on our oven. We always use cream of chick. and cream of celery, but you can use any cream soup you want. We've done mushroom and broccoli as well.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Bell pepper casserole/ Stuffed Bell peppers

1 lb. ground beef (seasoned) –cook and drain

Add to beef:

1 onion
    1 bell pepper
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 cup rice
    1 cup water

Cover and simmer 20 min. on low heat till rice is done

Top with cheese and melt. - “2 cups” cheddar

If serving in hollow peppers precook pepper cups in boiling water (salted) for 5 min. Add rice mixture, top with cheese and bake for 10 min
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Rosemary Chicken and Rice ( Lowfat version)

No measurements for this one. Just do what you like to taste. Fresh rosemary is strong! Use sparingly until you know how much you like.

Bake, boil, grill, or cook chicken on the stovetop.

The sauce is made with sauteed onions, mushrooms, fresh rosemary, black pepper, minced garlic...then add about half a can of fat free turkey gravy, half a can of lowfat cream of mushroom soup, and about 4 tbsp of reduced fat sour cream.

Makes heaps of sauce - easily enough for 4.

* I omit mushrooms because i don't really care fo rthem, but still use mushroom soup.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• CHICKEN MARENGO:

1. Dredge boneless, skinless chicken breasts in flour mixed with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan. Brown chicken breasts in oil. Add fresh, sliced mushrooms and cook til tender.

2. In small saucepan, dissolve one beef boullion cube in 1-2/3 cups hot water. Add one can tomato paste, 2 tbsp dried parsley, 1/4 tsp dried thyme, 2-3 forkfuls of minced fresh garlic.

3. Pour sauce mixture over mushrooms and chicken breasts, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Simmer for 30 minutes, turning chicken halfway through.

4. After 30 minutes, add 1/3 cup cream sherry. Simmer for another 15 minutes.

5. Serve over rice

*I don't use alcohol in my cooking : Substitutes for Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices, peach syrup, or non- alcoholic vanilla extract. (Substitute equal amount of liquid 1 to 2

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Paella (Pie ay uh)
    { my brother learned how to make this in Spain}

3 chicken breasts cubed
    2 cups rice
    4 cups water
    4 chicken bouillon cubes
    Orange food coloring-(optional)

2 red bell pepper cut in slivers
    1 green bell pepper cut in slivers
    1 or two carrots cut in slivers
    ½ onion cut in slivers
    1 cup of peas

Cook chicken in Wok. Add in rice, water, bouillon and food coloring. Mix in. Then add all the veggieson top. Don’t mix the veggies in. Cover and cook on med-low until done. Add water as needed When rice is done stir veggies into the rice.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Here's something different! Hawaiian Haystacks are so good! They can also be called Chicken Sundaes! They look and sound weird, but they are yummy!

I ALWAYS USE:
    Cooked rice
    Cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces or shredded ( I shred mine)
    Pineapple tidbits
    Chopped green onions
    Diced tomatoes
    Grated Cheddar cheese
    Chow mein noodles
    Shredded Coconut
    Chopped Cashews

Other people I know also use or substitue other things out with:
    Toasted almonds (slivered)
    Chopped green pepper
    Chopped celery
    Sliced water chestnuts

SIMPLE CHICKEN GRAVY:
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    1 can water or chicken broth

OR
    I usually make a richer sauce:

2 cans cream of chicken soup
    milk to thin it to desired thickenss
    Add sour cream

* Put chicken into this gravy

..........cont............
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Okay now to build your Haystack! I ususally make this for a group so it's all laid out BUFFET STYLE.

1. Rice on plate ( take less than you think you normally would...these things get massive with all the toppings and hard to eat if you take too much! You can always get more if you don't take enough!)

2. Top rice with Gravy

3 Add toppings! Yes, ALL OF THEM! LOL!

Seriously the flavor combo is amazing. I always use everything in the first list I gave you. Actually, no, I don't usually put tomatoes on mine, but I always have them there for others.

My hubby only uses the gravy,cheese, chinese noodles ,and green onions. He doesn't like cashews, pineapple or coconut. I always tell him he's missing out!

Nika75

• Hope that gave you a few ideas! A few other things we always eat rice with are my hubby's Wild Duck Gumbo (if your hubby hunts or you know someone you can get ducks from, I'll share that with you, just pm me!) We often throw country style ribs in the crockpot or oven smothered in BBQ sauce and serve that with rice.

If you do tacos and mexican food a lot I have a fool proof mexican rice recipe.

Purchase Caldo De Tomate boullion mix in your local mexican food isle in the supermarket.
    Put rice into pot you will cook in. Add enough olive oil to the rice to saute it. Dice about 1/2 an onion and add that as well. Poke holes in a jalapeno with a toothpick and add that too. Turn on stovetop and brown rice. Meanwhile mix required amt (on pkg) of the bouillion to the water amt you need.

Add to rice when browned. Cook rice covered on low as you normally would until done ( tastes just like the restaurants!)
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• * NOTE: The jalapeno adds NO heat to the rice. Just lots of flavor! You can omit it if you wish!

If I think of anything else I'll come back. Message me with any questions!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2009