Has anyone ever washed a dry clean only garment in the washing machine?

what happens to it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes I have. If it's not made of wool, it's usually okay to just wash it on the light cycle, just don't dry. It's it is wool and you have worn it before, it will now fit a two year old. LOL!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ^^^^what she said^^^^
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It shrunk horribly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I do it all the time. Most of my step-daughters school clothes say dry clean only. I haven't seen any difference, after washing them I hang them up to dry though so that they don't get ruined in the dryer.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I had a shirt that had a light sheen to it. That disappeared, but the shirt was otherwise fine.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Most of the time you can manage it OK, as long as you use much less detergent, wash it on ultra delicate & MAKE SURE THE WATER IS COLD!!!!

And do not put it in the dryer, let it air dry. I do this all the time. After a while though, it will not be in the same condition. If it is an emergency, it's fine. But if you want to keep it forever, you may want to get it dry cleaned every once in a while. Whatever it is that you need washed...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It completely depends on the type of garment and what it is made out of. I am spoiled in the sense that my hubby owns the drycleaners, so I rarely wash anything that says dryclean only. You wouldn't believe the horrible stories of items that people have washed when they should have been drycleaned and then brought them in for him to 'fix', only to hear that the item is ruined.

If you really want to wash something that says dryclean only, may I suggest filling the washer about 1/4 way full and turning it off. Leave the item to soak with some very gentle detergent and then hand washing it instead of using the washer cycle, which can be too vigorous for some materials that would ordinarily be drycleaned. Once you have hand washed the item, you can wring it very carefully (I place it between two towels and smoosh the water out to avoid wring marks). Then you can lay it flat somewhere to dry. Hope this helps some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2009