When is it O.K to move your child out of a crib?

I'm expecting #2 in late Jan. My first will only be 14 months at the time. I know that is way too early to put her in a big bed but I'm wondering about how long it will be before I can move her into a small single bed? She is long for her age and I know the general rule is when they can climb out it's time for the move - but seeing as I don't really know when that will be - I just wonder aprox. when she will be ready.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well the tinkerbell toddler bed says for 13 months and up so i think your fine
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My daughter was out of her crib long before she was 2 years old, she was walking at 9 months lol. And she was a climber. I think you would be just fine to move her out of the crib and into the bed around a month before baby is due
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• A friend of mine had her kids 13-1/2 months apart and the older had to go from his crib to a "big boy" bed before the birth of the younger. She switched him on his 1st birthday and had no problems. I think that' early, but it did work out for her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• mine just figured out how to escape last week, she turned two in july
    we had a big girl bed in her room already, thank goodness we were prepared, just had to get bed mesh railing that day
    but good to be prepared because once she figures it out, you will have to get bed ready that day
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• For whatever reason my son stopped sleeping through the night at 9 months, so we transferred him to a full sized mattress on the floor so I could lay down with him. He is now 18 months and we built him up to the mattress with the box under it. We are thinking about putting him in the big bed. He sleeps pretty sound and is normally in the same spot as he is when we left him.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I started to put my son in a toddler bed a little after he turned 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• the instructtions for my crib say to only use it until the child is 35 inches because at that point the child can climb over and become injured.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ya 35 inches is the standard safety height they say to stop using it at
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my son rolls around in his sleep which is the only reason hes still in his crib...but we are moving him into the big bed tonight and i think hes gonna do fine. it really depends on how you think your baby will do. i just had my second son aug 3rd and my older son is 14 months now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• a trick they say to try.. is to put the mattress on the floor let them sleep on that and if they stay on that they are ready for the toddler bed
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009