Lunch at the park!

Does anyone have some good tried and true lunch ideas for taking to the park? (No pbj or lunchables, please.) DD is 22 mo. and eats later, around 1pm, and we always end up cutting our play short or scrambling home with grumbly bellies. Thanks for the help!

Ems629

Asked by Ems629 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I do on those days when we play at the park through lunch (usually I wait until afterward), is take something for DD to snack on like Goldfish or gummies if she gets hungry. However, she's usually too busy playing to even care about any food.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes, ours would NEVER stop playing to eat, LOL! But IF I could DRAG him away, maybe some grapes, snack crackers, or apple slices, a drink (water or juice), etc. It doesn't have to be a 5-course meal, just a snacky type lunch to tide you over until later. BTW, I have done the 5-course meal at the park (ckn nuggets, mac & cheese, yogurt, mandarin oranges, snack crackers, etc.) BUT he will not eat "normally" like he would at the park. He doesn't even eat at my sister's like he does at home. Change the environment, and you change the routine, HeHe! So as long as you take a healthy snack, you'll keep yourselves from hunger on the way home.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I've actually made (baked) some chicken strips and taken them to the park. Even when not hot, they are just fine. (just fresh chicken breast cut into strips dipped in egg/milk and then bread crumbs/seasoning to taste and baked) You can do them that morning or the night before. They can keep in the fridge and reheat well. My boys love em and they aren't fried and who doesn't love giving their kids something that isn't fried now days? They don't take long to bake at all, since they are strips so keep an eye on em.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Pasta salad with lots of fresh veggies in it withour any mayo is great! You also won't have to worry about it spoiling. Just pop it into your cooler and it will be ready to eat when you LO is.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009