What is your biggest challenge as a single parent?

Im doing a paper on the effects of the current economy on single parents. What is your biggest challenge as a single parent in this recession? What is the biggest help?
Thanks for your help!

kristal2146

Asked by kristal2146 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• To Fallaya, a college fund is what you make of it. Put what you can and educate your child so that he/she may possibly get a few scholarships. I'm unemployed but you can't tell me I'm not doing something when I put $20 or even $5 in my son's account. You know why? Because I had that much extra to give to him. Don't beat yourself up.

Now to the original question. My biggest fear was daycare because i do not work and my sons father has a "comfort" problem with keeping him. My aunt and her family allows us to live with them until I get on my feet. My cousin works out of her home and keeps him for free Tuesdy thru Friday while I'm in beauty school. I give her milk off of my WIC and do her and her daughters hair for free.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 1:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My biggest help is my parents. They're letting us live with them until I finish college. Actually, they kind of demanded it. My biggest challenge is sleep. I can't just pass her off to her dad and take a nap.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my biggest challenge was my DS had no male roll model, and my DD had no daddy. my kids only got the love of there mother, and my parents. my parents let me stay with them for several years they helped out a bunch, by watching my kids while i worked, and slept.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My biggest help, family and friends. I got no child support and had to be on gov assistance while I went back to school. That helped too. Biggest challenge...raising 3 kids while working 2 jobs and going to school. I went for my teaching degree. Being a single mom taught me not to judge the parents of my students too quickly. Just keeping up with homework, sports, and making sure everyone was fed and taken care of was a mountain of a task. Seemed like everything was working against us. Just because kids are low income, and have single parent homes does not mean they are not loved or worried about, some parents have such a hard time keeping everyone alive let alone a huge science project to do...hope this helps.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• As far as the recession, I guess my biggest fear is that I won't be able to provide my daughter with an adequate college fund because I can't save much money for her future. The biggest help is the fact that I know how to be frugal (but not CHEAP), and I can cut corners and use coupons to my advantage, so that I can save a little money for her. Some is better than nothing at all.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My challenge is the other parent dragging me into court for BS (I cut our daughter's hair I am CP, I signed her up for karate, I moved into a bigger house in the same town)

My biggest help our weekend road trips, they give me and my children a break from the harassing phone calls and we get to explore various parts of our state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• anon.. what is CP??
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009