Battle of the baby names...is this rude, or am I over reacting?

Our youngest son Jack was born in 06. My DH's sisters son and his wife had a baby the following Feb. They named him Jackson...call him Jack. I was not happy but we are in OH and they live in WA so I let it go because we hardly ever see them anyway. Now DH's bro and wife are due for a boy in Oct of this yr. They want to name him Jaxxzon...I know, don't get me started on the way she is spelling it...but it is pronounced Jackson...our sons will be cousins only 3 yrs apart. They live in town, we see them all the time. Their 2 yr old is named Zack..so we will have Zack Jaxxzon and Jack...I am really upset that they are taking a name already used. It is a family name for me...my mother had a brother who died named Jack, so the name has special meaning for our family. What is with people? I know I don't own the name, but I think it is really rude! What do you think? She thinks just because she spells it dif it is ok.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it depends, is she completely set on this name? If it's a name she's always wanted to use or she just absolutely loves, then I guess there's not much you can do about it. I think maybe have a talk with DH properly about it and see if it's possible to talk to his sister about it. In the end though you have to let people name their kids what they want to, even if they're not being courteous at all about it, maybe it'll turn out fine anyway. As in become a quirky thing with them....
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 11:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I HAVE A COUSIN NAMED JORDAN AND THEN MY OTHER COUSIN NAMED HER SON JORDAN....I THINK ITS RUDE !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• OH MY GOD. I'm actually angry for you. I would be so upset (weirdly my sons name is jack - but i didn't copy you ;-))

Tell her it doesn't matter how retardly she spells it. If its pronounced the same she's copying you. Tell her to get an imagination and come up with a new name with the CORRECT spelling.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 11:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• OP here, this is not a name she just haaas to have. Her maiden name begins with a Z. She did not take my BIL's last name when they got married. She has to put a Z in all her kids names. They are Alexzandreeah, Maxxzwell, and Zack. She is looking for any name she can twist with a Z. She knew I was already mad at DH's nephew for naming their baby the same name. I think it is rude. Jaxxzon Steel Pau$#@ would be his name. Sounds like a porn star to me. I am really upset that she knows how I feel about this and doesn't care. We get along great, but I think she is being selfish. It is already confusing enough with Zack and Jack at family gatherings.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Zack and Jack? Rhyming names? Very lame! The spelling is bizarre too.
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 11:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I come from a family where all of the first born daughters of my grandmother's generation all had the same first name. They loved it. My bff from childhood and I both have 1st born sons with the same first name. She thought that it was cool that we could do this since both of us are only children. My youngest son has the same name as one of my cousins. She thought it was really cool. There aren't that many people out there with the same name and now she gets to share with her youngest (at that point) cousin. Just look at it as the sincerest compliment that someone so close in the family liked the name enough that they wanted to use it as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Wow! Normally I say go for a name anyway as long as your kids won't see eachother everyday and won't attend the same school, church, etc...but in this case the kids will see eachother everyday and end up at schools or churches together AND they are related. I would want to know her motives. There are plenty of names with Z's so she can't say that is why. For that matter, Jackson is NOT supposed to have a Z.

It sounds like you are the only one with a family reason for using the name, too. I try to use family names, but not names someone has JUST recently used for a baby. I mean like I am naming the next boy Jasper after my grandma's brother. She also had a twin brother named Jack that died when they were 26 (brain cancer) so if I used that one it would be because of her brother, not because its becoming more popular.

Have you explained how much it hurts your feelings that everyone is using it and making it less special?
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 11:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would be pissed. After I had my daughter, dh's friend's girlfriend had a baby and named her Leila. She tried to act like she didn't know, but dh's friend said that when he told her that we had a girl, the first words out of her mouth were "What did they name her?" It pissed me off. I know I don't own the name, but does she have NO originality at all? I spent a while looking for a nice tradtional, not overused name and then this ho copies me 2 months later.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• There are so many books with baby names out there, she can find another name to murder! She is being rude, obnoxious and I am upset about it too! What is she thinking with those crazy spelllings, those poor kids are going to go through hell at school. Maybe if she insists you can start calling your son by his middle name instead. Im so sorry she is being such a bitch.
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 11:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If you kid is Jack and hers is Jackson (but spelled like a moron) just call him Sonny. Start now and be really irritating about it so she is sure to change her mind.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2009