If an 18 month old won't eat the dinner you've prepared, do you offer them something else, or let them go without? How early do u start the "this is what's for dinner, eat it or wait for the next meal?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started it at about 18 months, but it's totally up to your child, personally I think by 18 months they are old enough to understand that this is what they should eat and they're not getting anymore if they don't. It's all about whether it actually teaches them something or not.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 11:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Start as soon as possible. You don't want to enable them to become a picky eater.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 11:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well I think I started around then too. If I made something that I knew they liked, then they just got milk the rest of the night
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• What I do for my kid is always try to make something she will eat. If we have broiled chicken and rice, I'll also have a little stuffing on the side because she LOVES stuffing!! Ever since she started to feed herself around the time of 18 months, she's been very choosy about what she eats. We usually have dinner around 5-6pm. She eats what she eats and will get nothing else until her bedtime snack at 8:30.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If you feel that your child is clearly understanding that you are making one dinner only and that they must eat it or wait till the next one, then by all means, tell them that's what is going to happen. I think also you should have them sit with the family at the table until everyone is done, make that a rule. Who knows, it may urge him to want to nibble on something and if nothing else he will have his drink, even if he doesn't eat anything.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• We have started that. It hasn't gotten really tested yet and what we make for dinner he hasn't yet refused to eat it and ask for something else at 21 motnhs old BUT... our plan is not to make him seperate meals. He needs to eat what we make or go without. he eats like a bird so he's always wanting to get down after a couple bites and I guess that's our issue right now
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i started around 2 with my daughter. my son hasn't met a food he doesn't like, so i'm not sure if we'll ever have to do it for him.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I sometimes will make something different for my daughter, but we eat some really spicy food in this house. I have let her try some of the more milder foods, and she liked them, but I will gradually introduce her to the spicy foods . . . normally she eats what we eat though. She is 14 months old . . . I won't say "this is it, eat it" until she's closer to 2 years old . . . which shouldn't be a problem because she likes almost everything so far!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• A child will not die from a missed meal due to stubroness. That's what my children's doctor said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• feed your child. it's wrong to let a child this little go hungry. kids go on food jags, it's normal. and a child this little cannot fully understand that if they don't eat now they will be hungry later. having a hungry belly is a terrible punishment. if the child is refusing to eat, put some plastic over the plate and try again in a hour because they may just not be hungry enough yet. if they still refuse, give them something else to eat. they may have to try a new food several times before accepting it. we're still offering my daughter rice even though she hates the texture and spits it out every time.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009