raising a sissy generation?

do you ever think that we are raising a sissy or over protected generation i mean to say we damage them with CIO.. i turned out ok. I said fart, and booty and occasionally said hell, and again i think i turned out well. i mean yes we have more crime and more sicko's out there so im not talking about not be attached to your child when your out to make sure they are safe, but ever think we are going overboard with all this organic eating and all these other FADS? im sure i will be bashed for this.. there is always a mother that has to .. not a question w.o it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• YES YES YES! If they play sports and they get called foul or out, mommy and daddy comes rushing to their side and bawls out the coach or the ref. If they bully another kid in school, the parents say "not MY kid" or "Kids will be kids." but don't punish the bully. They have to wear helmets and knee pads to ride bikes instead of getting hurt and learning not to do wheelies anymmore. They can't have slides or swingsets in the playgrounds at school because somebody got hurt ONCE. Mommy is in the PTA and spends all day everyday up at the school so she can keep an eye on her children because she's afraid they'll miss her. It's pathetic!!
    Our generation has overcoddled, overprotected today's children so much they will never learn how to deal with the real world when they grow up! I thought the purpose of being a parent was to raise smart, self-sufficient, independent children, but it's funny how not to many parents want to!
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 12:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my kids are very out spoken. if someone disrespects them they get disrespected back. my kids eat whatever they want health or not. there is alot of parents i know that make there kids eat organic food, my kids will stay the night there but wont eat the food. they take there own snacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i agree. you wonder why we get sick so much? we've protected our bodies with so much anti-bacterial stuff, it prevents our bodies from knowing how to fight bacteria. i think there are a lot of things that have gone overboard these days. (i'll get bashed right along with you)
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I do think a lot of kids are being raised without learning respect and hard work. However I do not think Organic foods and whatever other "fads" are really the leading or even contributing cause to that. I think the cause is due to poor parenting and an over abundance of "entitlement" that people seem to feel these days.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• op- i was mainly using organic foods as just an example there are lots of things/reasons i think this but just picked something lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I do believe that kids today get away with way too much. I have seen children that abuse their parents in public, swear uncontrollably, and the outfits that some 12-15 year olds get away with make me sick. I wonder where the hell their parents are!? I was truly sheltered as a child, and I went crazy when i got out of the house, but even the things I did aren't nearly as bad as what you hear about with children bringing guns to school and killing eachother. It seems like morality has gone out the window. I don't really think we're raising a sissy generation, but one without a true set of morals and standards. (I see it mostly in teenage kids, I'm not saying they are all like that, just that its a lot more prevalent than it was when I was that age)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree completely. I have a 13 yr old nephew that is the biggest sissy in the world. He wont do anything but watch cartoons all day. He wont cut the grass or do anything outside even play. At family cookouts he stays inside watching tv because its TOO HOT OUTSIDE. I really want to shake my sister and tell her she needs to do something about this boy. He is overweight and is already on meds for his cholesterol being too high.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• We watch what we give our kids, nothing with a ton of preservatives etc. But we also let them have ice-cream, cookies, chips.. They have been eating veggies since birth and love them so thats not an issue. We eat meat, in moderation. I have found if I make healthy choices they do the same. I don't think you have to buy organic to eat healthy. I think people need to get their kids out of in front of the tv and out in the yard playing. Kids learn by example. I also think a healthy balance is the best way to go. I don't think protecting our children that we are making them sissies. Our kids love to ride our jet ski's, their dirtbikes, their bicycles, climb trees, and be the normal boys that they are. I just prefer for them to be healthy.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I see a lot more of this in the "suburban bubble" not bashing, I live there too, but we are in this "can't say no" parenting situation. I think kids need discipline, and to be taught manners and respect. My kids wear helmets, eat healthy..but do get junk food too. The only organic things they get come right out of our garden. I won't pay extra for that at the store. For the most part I think kids get away with way too much too. I don't think having consequences for their actions is something you see a lot of anymore. Parents are way too soft if you ask me. Discipline is a part of love. Dirt, skinned knees, junk food, and being grounded are part of childhood. You can't put them in bubble wrap!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I feed my kids healthy and organic foods it is not a fad my parents were organic farmers when I was a kid I have eaten healthy my entire life. I do agree with the the sissy generation. So many kids have parents who will get them out of trouble and will not allow their kids to every suffer failure, loss or any consequences for actions. My husband is working with many fresh out of college students who have parents that actually call him when the employee doesn't like something. Many of these same kids act as if my husband should be glad they even showed up and working is a bonus. He fires them. Eventually he does get a younger employee that was raised right and they are fantastic. He said in his 20 years of being a manager he has never had as many males and females cry in his office when he reprimands them. Many want to call their parents. These are not super young kids usually early to mid 20s. lol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009