When someone is just very rude in public....

how do you go about correcting them?

This morning I went to the post office. There was a Hispanic woman and man in front of me. They were mailing a money order. The money order was blank. The postal worker told her she needed to fill it out for safety reasons.

The woman looked at me for help. I am Hispanic but I am 3rd generation and never learned Spanish. I tried my best but eventually asked someone behind me to help her. I apologized to the postal worker and explained I never picked up on the language. In front of the at least 4 Hispanics, she yelled this is American you need to speak English.

I understand how hard it is to learn another language, and I found her comment rude. I wanted to say something but kept quiet and bought my stamps.

In this situation would it be best to remind her Jesus loves all of us and we are called to help? or was the option to stay silent the best in this situation?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 11:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Id probably have rolled my eyes and kept quiet.
    Not like its going to change her mind or anything. You could complain to her supervisor but that might not do a lick of good either.

I certainly wouldnt have thrown a religious comment into the mix, just hurried things along.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• How is that rude? You should be able to speak the American language (ENGLISH) if you want to live here and get things done here. I believe you are being too sensitive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sorry I tend to side with her...this is america and the national language is English. I believe that the Constitution is NOT a living document. With that said...if I went to live in another country, I would be expected to learn their language as well and speak it fluently.
    However, this does NOT excuse her rudeness...she could have been more polite.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• my personal oppinion, and i dont mean to hurt anyones feelings. but i do agree that they should learn english. i mean if an american went to there country and did not know the language they would be frustrated and yell at the american to learn there language. i think it should be expected that if you move or visit another counrty you should at least know the language. thats my personal opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i would speak up and tell her not to be so rude. GOD HATES UGLY!!
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Personally I agree we need to be able to speak the same language in this country....for safety reasons among others. But if someone is new to the country, they do need time to learn. Some people are very outspoken about it because many people don't bother to learn and use it as an excuse. I've seen this MANY times at work and it is extremely frustrating! Doesn't mean it should be taken out on someone who's circumstances are unknown, but I understand the annoyance with it. I guess I just wouldn't have said anything.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i dont think what she said was rude, but the fact that she said it while at work. and yelling it is even worse.

i would have told her she shouldnt take her frustrations out on other customers. thats just bad customer service. ive worked it enough to know thats rule #1 haha. NEVER take out your frustration on the next customer, they didnt do anything!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I do agree this is America and we do need to speak English. That is why my parents made sure we learned English before Spanish.

What hit hard was the delivery and tone of her message. Do we have any idea if this couple has been in America for two days or two decades? Maybe they were just visiting?

The postal worker was speaking to me after I said I don't speak Spanish. she wasn't speaking to the couple who can't speak English or the man who is bilingual. She just made sure they heard the comment.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Granted, she shouldn't have yelled it, although that was probably just out of frustration, but I agree with her. I have a bad habit of letting my frustrations show, so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt here.

I would never visit or move to another country without knowing at least some of their language and then carry around a little dictionary so that I could communicate those things I didn't know.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I do think people that come to a new country need to learn the national language of that country. It's very hard to learn a new language, especially for people who don't learn languages easily and I do know what it's like to be in a Spanish speaking country with Spanish as a second language. It's not exactly fun to be out and trying to do things on your own.

However, needing to learn the language of the country you live in has nothing to do with other people being polite. When you're at work, someone's money is no less green or spendable because they need more help than others or can't speak English. You need to stiffle your personal opinions and do what you can to help them. There's no place for rude comments like that to a customer. I don't know that I would have reminded them about Jesus because I don't assume that everyone serves him. I would have told her that she was being rude though.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2009