how important is it that you take your iron suppliments??

my doc told me that i am anemic, and after reading all the side effects of the meds she gave me i dont want to take them. how important is it to take your iron?? i mean what can it do to the baby? low birth weight? birth defects? trouble with labor?? what? please answer and help me figure this one out. thank you

BUDDHASBABY1

Asked by BUDDHASBABY1 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Being anemic affects your red blood cell production which affects things like energy level, and oxygen(red blood cells carry the oxygen through your body) to your body and the baby. The side effects of iron arent near what they may sound. Depending on how low your levels are you could end up not even having enough energy to walk to the bathroom if its too low. Your body will feel much better if you take it and you will be healthier all around.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• well Im not a doctor, but when a doctor tells me to do something (while Im pregnant) I tend to do it. I dont want to take any risks.
    My mom was anenmic and she didnt take the med when she was pregnant, she's still anemic and refuses to take med. she always cold and always hot.
    Your baby needs a little bit of everything. and if you have a low amount of anything.it does affect the baby
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• were you given a rx or just a vitamin? if he gave you a rx for it i would consider taking a vitamin instead. i know how you feel, i hated even taking tylenol for a headache when preggo lol
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• here's a website that explains
    http://www.preferaob.com/anemia.html
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• There are other ways to get iron, it is important.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Call you doctor and ask about other options (which you should do regardless) and which one is safest for you baby. You should be able to skip the RX and just increase your iron rich food intake.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 12:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I couldn't take the Rx iron pills due to the side effects. They were horrible. My dr just told me to chew flinstones with iron instead. :) those worked and tasted better LOL
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 4:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• What iron supplements? I don't take prenatals, don't take iron as a supplement. Pills of any sort make me throw up when I'm pregnant. My iron levels get checked routinely and they've always been more than adequate. I'm very careful to get what I need from the foods I eat and to maximize how my body absorbs things so I don't miss out (like pairing citrus or vinegar with iron rich greens to help release the iron into my body).
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009