Teacher punishing kids for no homework?

My sitter told me the other day that a teacher at my DD's school (thankfully its not her teacher) is punishing kids by making them run 4 laps if they forget to do their homework. These are 4th graders mind you. I thought that would be illegal. I know if my DD was in her class we'd have a serious problem. What would be your reaction to this?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I see nothing wrong with having a consequence for not doing homework, but I fail to see how running laps correlates to doing homework. It would make more sense if they had to miss recess to complete their homework or something like that. Or else having 'homework completion' be part of the grade they receive for a unit of work. Something that actually is relevant to them grasping the subject being taught- shouldn't the goal of the 'punishment' make sure that the kid gets the work done?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• GOOD FOR HER!! Kids need to learn that there are consequences for what they do and do not do. Bad grades don't seem to faze anyone anymore because of that goofy rule where a child can't be help back without parents permission. Bet they did their homework next time, right?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think it would be warranted. It's called action and consequence. Too many kids are being "shielded" from consequences. It's not hurting the children, it's teaching the that they can't just blow off responsibility without consequence. When I was in grade school you got a zero and a paddling. Running a couple of laps won't hurt them.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree the children need consequences. I don't agree that its the teachers that should be giving them those consequences. And in some instances running that much can hurt a child. I know if my DD ran that much she would have severe cramping later. She has bowed legs. Some running is fine. But if overdone we are up all hours of the night massaging her legs to relieve cramping.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• whats good enough punishment according to you? if its really hot i would be mad i guess but im more mad that kids in her class have such lazy careless parents that dont even know what homework their kids have i think they should be the ones running.If my kid came home and said that i would know they lied to me about something and i would say "good ! running does the body good,dont ever lie about homework to me again" then i would call the teacher to see what homework he gets from then on.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would support the teacher 100%. Kids have a responsiblilty to do their work, otherwise there will be consequences. Our job is to prepare them for life on their own. Coddling them does nothing but make them weak and believing they are entitled to everything for nothing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think kids who don't like to run laps will do everything in their power to get their homework done. I would only have a problem with it if my child had more homework then could possibly by done in 1 day, we have had a problem with that before. My poor DD would work on her homework from the moment she got through the door after school and all night until bedtime with only a break for dinner. It was horrible, no family time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Four laps around a football field? I would not have been able to do this as a child because of asthma. I could walk it, perhaps, but it would take a very long time. I do think there should be consequences to not doing homework, and physical fitness is a fine goal.

Answer by Bmat at 12:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would also totally support the teacher, but if your child specifically has some disability, obviously that would be in writing and the teacher would be aware of it and she wouldn't be made to run...but for everyone else, I have no problem with it at all.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I went to catholic school in the 70's. If we forgot homework or did not turn it in, we had to stand next to our chair for that class. We were not allowed a seat. If we talked in class some nuns would put duct tape over our mouths...never happened to me thankfully, but I did see it done. I grew up in a very strict educational environment, so running laps is fluffy punishment compared to what I got. I don't think that is too bad. I don't see the point...as a teacher I would just take one letter grade off for every day it is late. I don't believe in public humiliation. My DD once forgot her gym shoes...was my fault really, teacher made her stand in a corner...I was LIVID! Went to the school and raised hell, she was only in 2nd grade. I don't think it is against the law but I do think it is pretty pointless. The teacher could do better.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009