not bashing AT ALL

But when trying to find a group that is about 'natural child birth' why is everyone concidered a "hippie" or something??

And if they do go natural for child birth, its only in groups that are 'all natural'' for everything?

I am having (trying VERY hard) to have a natural child birth, and want to talk to other moms about it. But i don't want to be a part of a group that does stuff so extreame (to me. .not bashing) and be the 'odd one out' because I don't cloth diaper and yadda yadda.

Anyone have any advice, reccomendations, ANYTHING about how to prepair for natural child birth?? anything would be wonderful.

Thank you :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had natural births with my last two children and in every other sense of the word I am completely unnatural. Disposable nappies etc. So yeah. No-one could ever call me a hippy! When are you due?
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 11:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Honestly, you need to be prepared for the reality that things probably will not go your way. I am not saying that you can't or wont have an extremely amazing natural child birth, but a lot of women who want a natural child birth want to have the control, and that is where a lot of them go "wrong." You just need to be open to changing your birth plan, if need be, and I have no doubt you can do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i think a lot of people go natural and dont do any of that other natural stuff!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If you want natural child birth, I would look for a birthing center in your area, most midwives are happy to assist you, if you go the OB route, you will have to have him sign off on you to allow a natural birth, in most hospitals a natural birth is ALMOST a non-thing. Meaning you can have your baby with out drugs, and a vaginal birth but thats not the true definition of natural, they will most likely want to hook u up to an IV, and monitoring etc and that is not a natural birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• **OP**
    I'm due at the end of November, so i'm trying to make sure I am prepaired.
    We are leaving our bith plan (or birth preferences) open. We are requesting they don't push medicne on me, but if needed (for extream situations) would be willing to do so.
    I know a lot of things can happen, as this isn't our first child. I just want to know what helped other moms prepair for it?
    Stretches, mind setting, exercizes, stuff like that?
    ~I am anon because when I ask questions, no matter the question, i get emails that are not so nice about my topics~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I get you completely. Though I have used cloth diapers, some of those groups try to make you feel like less of a mom if you are not doing all of those things. What I don't understand is, why do you let it make you feel bad? Why not just take the info you want and ignore the rest. Those women are a font of information about natural childbirth.

I would read the book "Husband Coached Childbirth" By Dr Bradley. It really helped me prepare for my second and third births. But like those groups, a lot of the stuff in there was stuff I couldn't get behind. I just had to take what I needed form the book and use it and forget the rest.

Good luck to you and your LO.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Reading, getting your mind full of all the options available so that you can feel more confident knowing you CAN do it.
    Are you taking classes, watching videos, having a doula?
    The more a mom knows, the better prepared she is.

Childbirth is old, the body can do it~ but hospitals are new, doctors attending birth is new. And these do interfere with how moms handle birth. So moms now need to be prepared, iknowoing their options BEFORE labor so they don't have to try to get educated while coping.

There are a lot of ways to get ready & ways to cope through. Your best ally will be to stay out of a hospital where interventions are normal, interfering in a normal birth is common, even protocol.

Would you like to birth in a birth center or home?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You have to just do what you feel is working for you. Your doctor should not make you or push anything on you that you do not want. With my births and miscarriages, I dictated what medication I wanted and when, if any. I made it clear that if things went wrong that they were to do what was necessary for me and the baby and just tell me what they were going to do. Some doctors and nurses think that it's weird if you don't want pain medication. If you can handle what is happening and still effectivly deliver, there should be no problem with your wishes! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Please feel free to message me anytime, I would love to help.   :-)

I have a group that can help, too, where moms do have natural births are are open-minded:

Moms Who Birthed Naturally

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I had a horrible (well it wasn't that bad but if left me feeling empty and lonely) birth experience with my first child. This time we are using a midwife (my prenatal care is 100 times better) and having a home birth (I decided what happens and who touches me). Feel free to PM me and we can talk. Also read "Birthing the Easy Way" by Sheila Stubbs and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin (both books I wish I would have read before my first was born)!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 12:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2009