Have you ever been publicly discriminated against? (concerning religion)

Not on CM, of course.
I went to church with a girl who dressed punk-goth. She believed in God and had been saved and attending church for a long time. Her and a man who also went to the church went to K-Mart one day where there was a preacher outside nearby preaching to people. When he seen her, he called out in front of everyone and said "Ma'am if you don't change your ways and find God, you are going to hell." The guy who was with her walked up and politely told the preacher that she had gave her life over to God, and had been going to church for a long time. He gave a short-spoken apology anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The preacher NEEDS a lesson on Grace :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• At my former employer, not being Christian and letting them know was a sure fire way to be harassed until you quit or screwed up enough they had grounds to fire you. The preferred making you quit so they wouldn't have to pay for the unemployment hearing after they refused to pay it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Not publicly. I wonder if that preacher knows how rude, judgmental, and intolerant he is. Aren't all those things anti-christian? I guess he figured those things are ok while condemning people in black lipstick isn't. *gag*
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• no, not publicly because I dont think anyone can tell what faith I am just by looking at me. I go about my day and talk to people and interact with all kinds and religion never comes up. If I am in a conversation with someone and I need to say, well, God showed me this or spoke to me that, I do and if the other person doesnt understand then its okay. I dont think its offensive at all because Im talking about me. I believe people are people and when I meet them in the store, the pharmacy, the gas station or wherever, I treat them like people, not represenatives of their faith, or their lifestyle. Funny story....Yesterday, we had a special speaker at our church and he asked me to come forward because he felt God had somethings to say to me. So I did and Im not shy so it didnt bother me. He spoke some powerful words over me and it was greatly encouraging. I had tears running down my face and as I wiped them, my nose stud fell out
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• That was a first for me! So here I was being prophesied over in front of the church and when they were done, I was bending over looking for my nose ring....How funny. Our pastor found it and handed it back to me. How great that I can be in such a wonderful prophetic church and still be loved like that....It was kinda funny!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Not really, but once my BIL blasted me for raising my kids to be Christian... which is kind of ironic considering I practice Buddhism. I asked what makes him assume that I'm Christian and he said "That's what white people are." Ummm.... not so much buddy! He is just mad that dh and I are not raising the kids to be Hindu. We are teaching them about multiple beliefs and letting them make up their own minds.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well, back in high school when I was a Christian, I had a militant atheist HAMMER me about religion. He's not the kind of atheist I want to be, but he did make lots of good points, now that I look back at it. My family are the only ones who know about my atheism...well, they think I'm just agnostic, anyway. They don't know how deep I've studied my belief system, they just think I'm "rebelling" or whatever. They've said some very harsh things to me, things that I would never expect a family member to say.

Sad.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• LOL Momofsaee. You're a "Best Answer" candidate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• They don't know how deep I've studied my belief system, they just think I'm "rebelling" or whatever. They've said some very harsh things to me, things that I would never expect a family member to say.

I totally understand. My mom gives me crap about it all the time. She refused to let me have a quincinera (sp?) cause I'm not Catholic. She asks when I'm baptizing DD. I'm Atheist and hubby's Buddhist... Why on earth would we baptize her is neither of us agrees with Christianity??? She says it's important for her to know Christianity. I think not.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes my daughter was asked about church in school, and one of the other mothers was there and after hearing my dd say mommy does not go to a church she yelled at me in the parking lot and followed me all throught the school and kept it up athorities had to be involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009