This has probably been asked before but....

Does anyone just get sick of having dogs in the house all the time??
Has anyone had dogs inside for years and then decided to stop???
Do you miss having them inside??
Just wondering...I'm so tired of cleaning up pee and poop all the time and sweeping and dusting up pet hair.
I also went to a friends house the other day, and when I walked in the door, I noticed how "horrible" it smelled (urine smell) !! I got to thinking.."Wonder if my house smells that way??" You know we all get so used to our own home "smells." But I wonder what others may think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pets

• have you been visiting my house???? lol....jk We have dogs, inside and out, and to be honest, until I moved in with my SO, I only had 2 dogs and they were VERY house broken. I moved in here, and well, not so housebroken, though I work very very hard to break them all. We have too many dogs, we basically are a rescue but we only take in dogs that people dump into our yard. Since I cant seem to get rid of the animals, that would be mean I guess, I have resorted to removing every piece of carpet in this house and putting in hard wood floors and tile. That way, all I have to do is mop and then no smell of animals. Wanna know what else I do? After I clean clean clean, I burn oil in a burner at my entryway, so the first thing you smell is good :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sounds like your issue is not the dogs but you. A dog is like a computer - it will only do what you teach it to do. If you don't potty train the dog, it will pee and poop in the house. If you're not grooming/brushing your dogs it will shed all over the house.

Dogs are pack animals and don't do well isolated in a yard. Please don't punish your dog by moving him outdoors because of your lack of motivation. Dogs are a responsibility!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• We have inside pets. The dogs are getting up there in age and it's hard for them to hold their urine when sleeping and the cats have been going through UTI's lately, so I know our house stinks. I just do everything possible to control it as best I can with Febreeze and scented candles and those plug in things and shampoo'ing the carpets because there's nothing else that can be done. I'm not going to get rid of my pets. I'd say in about another five years most (if not all) of them will have passed and whenever that happens, we'll rip out the carpet and put hardwood floors in the family room and new carpet in elsewhere. And then we'll get another dog! LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• HOUSE TRAIN THE DAMN THING!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ROFLMAO Anon!! I'm sorry, OP may find that a rude response. Personally, I laughed my backside off. Thought that was so funny I had to share it with my son. Unfortunately we both agree - but we're nice people and realize sometime you have a dog with the brain and bladder the size of a pea or a very stubborn one. Yeah, I get where you're coming from - sorry, I hope me laughing at the above post doesn't make me a rude person - but just on the premise of pee and poop it's a very common sense answer and I had this mental image of someone in the crowd just screaming out. Sorry. That was a funny response.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I love my dog being inside and so does he. In fact, he's asleep next to me right now. lol. He is housetrained and has only had maybe 3 accidents since we got him, over a year ago. Our house doesn't smell and I make it my prority not let it get that way. If it does, it's because of dirty, stinky boy-shoes that need a good washing or febreezing LOL. I sweep up dog hair a lot, yes, but oh well, that comes with owning an animal. It doesn't take long and anyway, I'd much rather have dog hair all over and my sweet loveable doggie with me, than a clean house and he be all lonely outside by himself.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i've been feeling fed up with my dogs lately although i do love them very much. they always spill their food and water bowls. one barks everytime it sees the cat and i worry the baby will wake up. they jump at the back door and scratch it. they are always under foot and we trip. i'm 8 months pregnant and our smallest dog almost knocked me over. they drink out of the toilet so they leave water marks that i always sit on and the floor gets really dirty. our boxer barks to much at nothing. they chew on my daugthers toys. they are trained accept for the smallest dog which was recently added to our household. it was a rescue. some days it would just be nice to never have to clean after them or loose another toy. oh and they lick my 3 yr and she whines which she has never done before. so i hate hearing her whine over them doing that. well i figure either i get rid of them or just keep up the training. boxer will be first to goif any
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Sweetie, I have a 180 pound English Mastiff WITH A SKIN CONDITION.... OMgoodness do I know where you're coming from. I once (while I was sick) got so fed up that I called DH crying because I didn't feel well enough to get through THAT day's slobber, dander, hair patrol. But because of his skin condition we can't put him outside - we even considered giving him up to a rescue at one point - but I'm the one who backed out - because I love him. But you betcha when I'm cleaning house - he has to stay out until I'm done. I get tired of it, but I thinks that part of our normal commitment to them. We'd be kidding ourselves if we pretended that they don't cause inconvenience sometimes.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• That's ok PaceMyself...I realize her answer was based on ignorance rather than "common sense." I appreciate the kind responses...
    I've worked very hard to housebreak this dog.... It's a chihuahua and as anyone who's ever owned one knows, they are very difficult to break...also when he sneaks in and pees on the carpet, sometimes it isn't noticed until the smell has soaked through to the padding and wood underneath. We're having our carpets torn out and the wood treated as we speak. You'd be surprised at what the floor under your carpet may look and smell like. I've also known of someone who's older dog couldn't control his bladder and peed on the hardwood floors. It left stains that were never able to be removed, not even from sanding and restaining...
    I was just asking a simple question and no, my dog will NOT be put outside. If I have to rehome her, I will. Chihuahuas shed year round regardless of brushing and bathing, and
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• all my hard floors, all you can see is hair.
    Yes, this may be a common sense question to some, but to others who LOVE their pet but are frustrated with the endless chore of cleaning, it is serious . Not to mention that one of my kids is showing allergies from the dander. I feel horribly guilty for thinking this way, so I wanted to know if anyone else had felt the same !!
    For the ones on here who are so rude: Maybe you need to find something better to do with your time that sitting on CM trying to pick a fight!! This is a QUESTION site , right??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009