Have YOU ever...

given your one year old a small dose of ANY type of cold/allergy medicine when they were sick...I know it's not safe for babies under 2 and I haven't given her anything...we spent the night in the ER hoping they would've done something for her but they didn't...the doc said in "extreme" cases they would give them a little benadryl but apparently she wasn't "bad enough." Pissed me off...she screamed for 5 hours straight, there was nothing I could do to comfort her. SHe was too congested to eat or anything...her fever is 102 and I have given her Motrin to keep her comfy but Im just wondering if YOU personally have ever given anything to your little one and how was it and WHAT was it?? THanks and please don't tell me that it's bad Im just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been using Motrin and Tylenol since she was 6 months old...under the supervision of her doctor but I always call the pharmacist for the correct dose.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• And I forgot, Pedia-care and Delsym
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i gave my 2 month old a lil tylenol after his shots, the dr said it was ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Dimetapp was the other one...my doc is pretty good about helping my dd out. she believes that these meds DO help and is aware that I don't give meds unless she says they are ok and what and how often to make sure not to overdose.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i have.. if its for a 2 yr old cut the dose in half....If the child is 1 or big like a one yr old.. if smaller i would do half of half.. My daughter was the same and they wouldnt give me anything so i did what i had to for my baby to be happy.. let her sleep sitting up in a bouncy seat or something so she can breath better when she sleeps....im not sure what it was but i know i it was the one for a 2 yr old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Jademom07...was your daughter a year old or older?? Yes, Ive been doing tylenol and motrin but Im just wondering about actual cold meds...that will dry all the crap out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Unless a doctor told me that I could give DD something, I never gave her anything. I honestly don't recall giving her anything other than Infant Tylenol to break fevers when she was less than a year.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• BTW...my dd is about 26 pounds so I think she's pretty big for one year old and I know alot of it goes by weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• When she was 8 months, she got a horrible cold and she was on Tylenol and motrin alternating every 3 hours and Dimetapp every 12 hours, then when her cough dried up, we switched to pedia-care
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I should also say that they didn't bring the subject of medications up or suggest them...I asked for them and what I could give, I didn't wait for a suggestion.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009