Do things really change after marriage?

It's like we're already married. We live together, share a bank account, do eachothers laundry, take care fo one another if we're sick, we do EVERYTHING together. People say that sometimes marriage can change & ruin a good relationship, is this true? What on earth is going to change so much? What is going to be different?

Is there anything that actually changed in your relationship after the big day? What are some common things i can expect to change in my relationship after the big day?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 1:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• i lived with my man 10 months before we got married, it doesn't feel ne different, and we have been married 5 months so far...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• For some, it does...there's no longer the easy way out if it doesn't work and that puts some stress on things even if there was no intention of leaving
    Anonymous

• I would say no, for you two it will stregthen it most likly. You will then be offical and a committment that takes legal actions to disolve. Enjoy your day and the honeymoom, that should be fabulous after such a happy day.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Befoe I got married, I lived with my parents. I waited to get married until I was through with College and had a job. Then when I got married, the only difference was that I had to share a closet with my DH and cook meals we both liked and work out our daily schedules. Otherwise, there was no big change. We didn't share a checking acoount or anything before we were married and I wouldn't recommend it. I think you need your own money. And we waited a couple of years before we had children.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I lived with my hubby for 2 years before we got married and nothing changed for us after. We already had a joint account and bought everything together, so essentially it stayed the same. i dunno. I suppose it's different for each couple. I can't really tell you what will change, cause nothing changed for me.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Well thanks ladies! A lot of people say "things are going to change" and i think HOW? I have a good feeling all will be wonderful, if anything changes, it will be for the better.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think it depends. Things did change a LOT with my ex. I didn't realize until after we got married that my expectations for what I thought a husband should do and be were different than how things were previously going. I didn't even really realize that I had expectations for what a husband should do or be until after the fact. I was also young, and my view of marriage was much more of a romatic idea than a practical one. I went into my second marriage with my eyes more wide open about what I wanted out of life and marriage, and a much better idea about who he was and how he fit into all that. I do think our relationship changed a bit, but for the better, it's always getting better. It was very reaffirming for both of us to express our commitment to each other and our family.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• legally on paper things change
    The best part is if he knocks up another woman, he can not say but honey , we did not exchange vows, we are not married. That is when it counts. When they say that to cheat it is n excuse his so will use to justify whey he cheats and she will accept it, because hey they are not tied down legally. But it is such a bs excuse and any woman that stays and accepts that is just really fooling her self-esteem and self- worth as a woman accepting his oops, I slipped into a vajayy, I can explain argument.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• statistics say they do change and that 70% of all who live together before marriage end it with divorce. That was on tv just this morning...and the longer you live together before marriage the higher the risk of divorce.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I was with my husband when I was 15 years old. We got engaged right before I entered college and we were married two years later. Now we have been married for a couple years and have a 6 month old. Things change when you get super comfortable, when you take on or leave jobs, when one of you changes weight, when you start thinking of children or have a child. There is a lot that changes and over the years you become a different person than when you first met each other. That by no means makes you love each other less. You can grow much deeper in love or you can fade apart depending on how you deal with the changes as a couple.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009