Wanna see a rep caught spreading lies and getting called out at a twon hall?

Over applause, a number of audience members audibly groan. "Oh Jesus Crist, that's terrible," says one attendee. "That's not true," says another.

"For those of you who say it's not true, don't talk to me, talk to Britney," Olson responded.

"The insurance company turned her down, not the government," an audience member says. "The private insurance turned her down, not the government." Others shout back that if there was government-run insurance, she would have been turned away. As the meeting devolves into shouting back-and-forth, Olson just says, "I want to thank you all for coming."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MvNF2GUE0&feature=player_embedded

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• O my, the older man holding the camera or right by the camera man sounded pissed! lol
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree with the guy!!!! My Dh has needed surgery for 7 years and the insurance won't pay for it! Health care NEEDS reform!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• "Health care NEEDS reform!"

Rarely anyone would disagree with you, anon.. However, the majority of the country believes that this KIND of reform isnt the kind we need to be throwing our money at.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• More left wing, libnut propaganda. I swear, how desperate can you people get? Isn't it bad enough they're trying to use Kennedy's death to their advantage? This is pathetic.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Another elected official lying his ass off about healthcare at a meeting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1ZfFBMf8s

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes, Healthcare NEEDS reform!

we don't have to take the first plan they come up with though. We need to get a well thought out, SUSTAINABLE plan. It's not going to do anyone any good if they rush this reform through riding on Ted Kennedy's hearse and in five years It's dead from lack of funding. This is completely conceivable as we already have no money.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Actually, Pete Olson is my Congressman and I attended one of his town hall meetings (not the one on the video) and what he is referring to is a document stating "Probability of receiving an intervention". Not that any of you are looking for 'the rest of the story', but here is the link to the page that was discussed. I believe the graph is on page 428 in the link.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18280675/Principles-for-Allocation-of-Scarce-Medical-Interventions

And I agree with bexi, most people realize we need reform, but many don't seem to like the flavor of reform that government is offering. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• This is ridiculous..... Aside from the fact, the taping was started after the story had started so you don't know the whole story the fact is he was quoting what the mother said. She didn't believe her son would be alive if Obamas government healthcare was in place. It wasn't a lie, it was what she believed. I'm not so sure you would be able to go outside the government plan if they refused to pay for that. It's all a crap shot at what you will have with the government plan. Also the guy with the big mouth who was taping the meeting was obviously out to make trouble. He was the closest to the mike so you heard what he and 1 or 2 others said but you don't mention all the clapping of those who agreed with what was said. Anyway, you don't have to be very smart to see it was a personal story, not a fact or fiction answer.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'm not conservative and I'm not liberal, but I would agree that any reform needs to well thought out and fiscally solvent. What we have NOW is not viable for the long run- it must be reformed, not saying the, 300th revision currently on the table is the answer, but doing NOTHING IS A DECISION, and 1 that is just no longer viable.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yes, Healthcare NEEDS reform!

She has a very good point. We need reform, but we need to get it done correctly piece by piece. Same way major businesses implement major change.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009