How do I manage my kids toys and play area?

OK moms, I need some serious help and I know you all can help. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and right now their toys rule the house. How do I manage thier out of control toys and play area? I need great ideas for cheap and fun ways to create an organized play area for my girls. Something they can help clean up easily at the end of the night. I dont have a lot of room or money so any idea would be WONDERFUL! Thanks in advance

QTMamma01

Asked by QTMamma01 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We use storage bins, like the ones that have drawers, they are plastic.. I also have a toy box. Everything has it's own place, and my 15 month old is learning where things go, and before bed, we always pick up (she helps!!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I have banished most of my three year old's toys to her room. She has NO toys in the living room and the office is also a playroom for her toy kitchen, one toy box and a TV with VCR and her VHS tapes. For her room she has a toy box, and two book shelves, one for books and one with canvas totes for her toys.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I did two things. First, I rotate some toys. I put them away for a month or so then bring them back out and put something else away. Limits how much stuff is in the room and they seem "new" again each time. Admittedly, that will probably work better for your younger child. I also bought an inexpensive bookcase from Staples to store some toys on. I was limited on space so going up worked better. Toys on the higher shelves are those requiring some adult supervision or that I limit to "one at a time" (mostly toys with lots of pieces). We swap one toy for another. The shelves aren't very heavy on the outside chance that my son decides to try to climb and manages to topple them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• First, (having looked in your house on googleearth.com (Just Kidding! LOL)) thin the toys out and put 1/2 of them away to rotate out later. Our managing is not 100%, but better. We have many clear plastic bins that I (every 3 months) sort out into categories, to "give them away". I put them in the guest bedroom, and he plays with what's left because it's been "un-buried". There were too many toys in there. Overstimulating, and overwhelming to PLAY with much less clean up. Also, we have book shelves (be sure to anchor them to the wall) and we put the things that need supervision (puzzles, things with little pieces, or many pieces) on the top and he has to ask, then we play those together. Other things that he can play with alone are on the lower shelves. He has picked up toys and likes to put them where they go. BTW, about the toys to "give away", he ends up finding them later, and I swap them out again. It's like NEW all over!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• A cheap alternative to a toy box is a big plastic box we bought for less than $5 at Walmart. You can decorate it with stickers or draw on it. We also got a short bookshelf at a garage sale and put canvas boxes in it for toys with pieces. They sell canvas boxes at Walmart for 2 for $10. You could also use little buckets instead of canvas boxes.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009