Does anyone have a infant that is lactose intolerant?

My baby is 14 months old, he has to drink lactose free whole milk. I feed him a pot pie last night, and around 4 am he was throwing it up. I don't know what to do, or what to feed him. Does any one have any suggestions?

Liz_Doty

Asked by Liz_Doty at 1:18 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• When my youngest son was little we found that we had to switch him off regular milk entirely. He has to drink soy milk which is perfectly fine with him. (and me, as I drink it too) If it is the milk you might try soy?
    But as far as the pot pie, had he had any milk with the pot pie, that may have caused him to vomit it up? Or do you think it was just the food? Has he had any problems with the lactose free milk that he's been getting?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• He hasn't had a reaction to the lactose free milk. I'm kind of thinking that it could have been the pot pie. The gravy was really creamy.. Does anything else affect him? As in foods, or is it just straight milk?
    Liz_Doty

Answer by Liz_Doty at 1:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I'm lactose intolerant. It doesn't cause me to throw up, that would be a pretty extreme reaction. Lactose intolerance usually causes gas, bloating, stomach pains, etc.

It doesn't sound like lactose intolerance, maybe something else in the pot pie or maybe he has a stomach bug.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You have to find out how much lactose he can tolerate. I am Lactose intolerant and can tolerate SOME lactose. Otherwise, I get crampy, gassy and have horrible diahrrea. Some people do vomit from the lactose. You will have to watch everything that he eats and limit dairy products. I can tolerate chocolate milk and yogurt with no problems but anything else, it bothers me. There was probably milk in the potpie gravy and that caused the reaction. I drink the Lactose free skim milk, the whole and 2% stuff still bothers me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• well I know my son is 22 months old and is on soy - if he does eat something made with milk 2% or whole you can hear his tummy and he gets gassy or more irritable. the cream sauce might have affected him because more than likely it had milk in it since its a cream sauce. you might have to read labels more
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• stop giving him dairy; it may actually be an allergy. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If he can't have dairy then don't give him dairy. Exposure will only make his problem worse. Switch him to soy milk (or rice or hemp or almond...) and use that when cooking for the family. There are all kinds of soy and rice ice creams and cheeses too. The rest of your family will benefit from cutting back on the dairy too, it's really not good for you.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009