What would you do...or can I even do anything about this?

I live in a house built in 1903. It is in a neighborhood that is...well past its prime and the school system sucks to say the least. My dad passed on July 5th. He is leaving us each 10,000 dollars. The house I have now is gutted, and we are working on fixing it up. Would you put that 10 grand in the house you were in now even though you hate the neighborhood and schools, or try to use the money to move. We have poor credit, would have a hard time selling the house in the condition it is in now for enough to break even. What would you do? I am not a big homeschool fan, but I don't want my boys going to the schools around here due to the element of people they will be exposed too. I am not a snob, poor does not equal bad...but in this area, sometimes it just does.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Good question, tough decision. If you put the $10,000 into the house you live in now, would it help the resale value enough so you'd be able to make enough off the house and move to a better area?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• You can't sell the house the way it is. Fix it up. Then sell if you still must. I homeschool and it is the best option for our family. If you have any questions about it message me.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Honestly, there is an element of bad in all public schools, hence why so many home school. You are never going to find the perfect schools to send your sons too because you never know. Sometimes with redistricting those people you wanted to avoid end up where you are anyway. They take 20 kids from my neighborhood, which I guess is like the "ghetto" and bus them to the school in the suburbs. So, I say just fix up the house. If you do right with your kids they won't fall into that crowd. Trust me, I went to these schools here with those people you want to avoid and yeah I have a college degree, so just supplement the bad with good, since it's not feasible to move.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i agree with all 3..i live in a nice townand people move here for there sports program..highly rated.but there academics suck.i say take the the money fix up the house.simple things.little bit in the kitchen //you know...and then sell it.take the lose and buy a smaller house in a better neighborhood.but im telling you like the other posters said i think these days there is always something wrong in the schools.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• use the money to fix your credit and go from there.. no matter where you go your kids will experience some of the "bad element", sign them up for after school activities and put your effort into making sure they have a safe and stable place to come home too...
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 1:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009