Do you believe some tasks are "men's work" and some are "women's work"?

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 1:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Short of pregnancy, breastfeeding and insemination, no.

Anything a man can do for chores, I can do. Anything I can do, my husband can do. Are there things either of us would prefer to do over others? Of course. But it has nothing to do with gender.

I have hauled wood, trail-blazed, shovelled snow, chipped ice off the roof, changed oil, helped swap an engine, made dump runs, etc.

My husband has vaccuumed, done dishes, cleaned the bathroom, does his own laundry, washed windows, cleaned the cat box, sewed on a button, etc.

In a partnership, if something needs doing, you help do it. Period. Gender isn't an issue.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 1:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• To an extent. I don't think there is anything that only a man should ever be allowed to do or vice versa but there are sure some jobs that I would rather leave up to a man to do...or at least just not me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No I don't. I think we are just pre-conditioned to think that there are. A man is just as capable of doing laundry as a women. A women is just as capable of being the bread winner as well.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yep. I am sure that I am able to do MOST jobs that my husband does and I know he can do the jobs that I do, but we are more comfortable in our roles. I am not interested in learning how to change the oil, set up the TV, or mow the lawn. Now when I'm working, we both do household chores (tasks that I would do if I wasn't working) and when he's deployed, I do the "men's work" as well as my own tasks.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Lol kestrelscall I agree completley. Except for the pregnancy part I personally beleave it should be 50/50 too haha!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ha no...I am just as capable of fixing the car as he is cooking. This is 2009 not 1959. I don't have to be June Cleaver unless I want to...and well frankly I don't want to
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think there are a lot of jobs that are done by the woman in a relationship simply because it's easier that way. It takes a woman to feed a baby so it makes sense for the woman to do most of the child rearing for the first few years at least. That means being at home so she should be doing the majority of the housework too.

Apart from that I don't think it matters much. Basement cleaning is traditionally the man's job but when ours needs doing I give DH the choice of doing it or watching the offspring while I do it and I do most of the DIY stuff because I'm better at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No. I believe there are jobs that have physical limits that many women many not be able to do. But at the same time, there are quite a few men who couldn't do it either. I think anyone who truly believes there is work for each gender doesn't appreicate the women's movement. Man are just as capable at raising a child. Just becuase the women has to birth it and to some degree may be the only one to feed it, does mean she should be the only one caring for it. It's also entirely possible for the man to feed the baby. We can pump or formula feed. And as for men having the "hard jobs", tell that to the first woman to successfully complete Navy seals training!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Could I do all of the chores that my husband does? You bet I could. Would I switch chores with my husband, not an ice cubes chance in hell. Even though he has an easier household work load then I do, the jobs I assigned him are disgusting and messy. He cleans the gutters unclogs the toilets takes out the trash, etc. I clean dishes, scrub floors, cook dinner, etc. and we both like it that way. I absolutely LOATH taking out the trash. I don't know why. However I'm almost certain my husband can't wash dishes, he's tried to do it for me a few times and I always end up going behind him and cleaning them again (without his knowledge I don't want to hurt his feelings).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Things that involve hand strength for sure. I tried to assemble some side tables. I turned the screws as hard as I could but the tables were unstable. My adult son came in and turn the screws a few times and they were fine. There are some nasty jobs I don't want to do and am glad that my husband does- car maintenance- crawling around on the floor under the car and turning screws to let oil out really doesn't appeal, tractor and mower maintenance, getting rid of spiders, snakes, mice- these I can do but prefer not to, gutter cleaning, digging- I can't dig as well as he can- he is stronger. As for women's jobs- he hates cooking and cleaning and laundry and I enjoy these. I like planning and lists. Yet there are men and women who do all of the above just fine. In my life, I like that something he does and some things I do.

Answer by Bmat at 1:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2009